Thread: SATA SSD for Lenovo R61

SATA SSD for Lenovo R61

I had got a Windows 7 disc for upgrading to Windows XP. My friends told me that Windows 7 works well on SSD drives. I called Lenovo for upgrade and they said that my laptop will support ssd drives but for that I will need to buy a SATA SSD. I am looking for the same. I just need some information on the same. This is going to cost me but does this is really worth for the same. Thanks.

Re: SATA SSD for Lenovo R61

You can do that. It is quiet a good alternative for those who use SATA drive in the system. For them the SSD drives comes with SATA connector but the same is big costly and for size there is limitation. SATA II hard drive like Seagate 1TB is a good SSD module thanks to the OCZ Core V2 or RAID 5 complete. It is quiet a powerful hard drive which you can try for your system.

Transcend has just introduced a new 32GB SSD, which has the good idea to use the SATA interface. This model is 2.5 inches by 9.5 mm thick (standard) is compatible with most laptops today, unlike PATA models. It consumes the same energy use than a conventional hard disk sleep, thereby increasing the autonomy, and it is totally silent. There are more models available.

A 32GB is a very low space but for SSD it is quiet well. The best thing about this drivers is that he access time is very low. The computers equipped with this type of storage media much more effective other models. But the Transcend 32 GB SSD is slow and it provides only 8 MB / s write and 25MB / s read support. While the same must be around 26MB / s and 30MB / s for 8GB and 16GB versions

The low speed read and writing problem is obviously due to the memory used in SSD drive. MLC for the 32GB model and SLC (faster but more expensive) on the 8 and 16GB models. You can see on Transcend site for more information. Indeed SSDs are performing well as compared to some SATA hard drives for personal use but they are too much costly.

SSD provide good storage in a very low size. There are some 2.5 inch drivers which gives around 160GB of space at 7200 rpm. If the 7200 rpm is still before reading and writing, the SSD is less than that and especially offers advantages that knows not 7200. Like for example the opening is apllications instanée through an access time of 0.2 ms. I will recommend you to go for normal SATA drivers.

SSDs are devices that use something other than the magnetic hard disk technology to store data. A device as IRAM is an SSD, for example. The two models we tested use of NAND flash memory. Flash memory is used heavily in digital music players, to the detriment of hard drives but is very rare in the field of PC. We decided to test two devices to replace a hard drive with flash memory, what is usually called a DSS.