Thread: How to overcoming BIOS password in Thinkpad R52

How to overcoming BIOS password in Thinkpad R52

I am using a Thinkpad R52 laptop. I had kept a password in the BIOS so that no one can access my system. I was out for some weeks and now after coming back I forgot the password. After adding a password it again prompt for the same. I am trying to figure out the same but till yet no success. What do you recommend for the same. Is there a way to fix the BIOS password. Thanks.

Re: How to overcoming BIOS password in Thinkpad R52

If you have forgotten the password for the BIOS, called upon starting the computer then there is a method to remove the request for password at startup of any PC. To begin with that please note that the password is contained in a startup memory of the system which is called as CMOS. You will need to open up your laptop and then remove the cmos battery. Place that back again after sometime and then check back.

There are some ways to reset the BIOS. The first is hard reset on desktops. The purpose here is reset the BIOS so that it loses all trace of any passwords or restore it to operation after a crash. This is done by moving a jumper on the motherboard. The biggest challenge is to find that jumper. This procedure also resets the other BIOS settings. If you have made changes, these will be set again.

First open the computer case after completely and first check the documentation for your motherboard to locate the jumper to make resetting the BIOS. You will need to locate the jumper on the motherboard. It is usually found near the button battery on the motherboard. On my motherboard the same is J4. Find your motherboard jumper and remove and put back to reset. It is usually too close to the battery.

A jumper is a 3-pin connector which had support in the middle. Before putting the jumper back ensure that you put back the same after some time. The second thing you can do is remove the cmos battery which is on the motherboard. Remove it and then put back. This is the most easiest way to delete BIOS password. If still this fails then flashing BIOS is the only option.

Yes I had did the same in my case also where I had forgot the BIOS password. For fixing that I changed the cmos battery on the motherboard and things worked well. This sometime also works when you remove and put back the jumper on the board. Do not keep your system on while doing that. Because that can destroy you motherboard. Remove the laptop battery also.

I had used Hiren's Boot cd for that. The problem is that you can boot Hiren's boot cd only if there were no of password at startup of the computer. Hiren's is useful for password configuration bios. Some of you can also remove the password by shorting the battery for few seconds. But some of the details are the memory ( ROM ) that can not be erased. At last flashing BIOS is the only way.