Thread: Can't connect to wireless network on Lenovo W510

Can't connect to wireless network on Lenovo W510

I have recently bought a Lenovo Thinkpad W510 laptop installed with Windows 7 on it. I have a home network configured with a Linksys wireless router. I tried to connect the laptop to the router but it is not working at all. Sometimes the laptop does not even detects the available network. If the available network is detected and connected, it gets disconnected frequently. How do I solve this problem? Please help

Re: Can't connect to wireless network on Lenovo W510

The network which you are trying to connect must be encrypted and hence you are facing such error. The wireless network if encrypted is not accessible for all the devices on the network. Therefore I will suggest that you remove the encryption from the network and then connect the laptop to the router.

Windows 7 has lot of incompatibility issue with lot of devices. It is possible that the wireless card which is installed on the computer is incompatible with Windows 7 and hence you are facing such problems. The incompatibility issue rises due to lack of proper drivers. Download and install the appropriate drivers for wireless drivers which are supported by Windows 7. After installing the appropriate drivers, you will not face the same problem.

All the NIC's have a some software interface port configured for testing the NIC. Therefore to test the NIC of the computer, click on Start menu and select run. Type "Ping 127.0.0.1" and hit enter. If there are any errors while sending and receiving data then you will have to replace the NIC as it is faulty. After replacing the NIC,you will be able to connect the laptop to the router.

I will suggest that you reinstall the operating system on the computer and then connect the laptop to the network. If some files of the operating system are missing on the system, some features on the operating system will not work. Therefore I will suggest that you repair the installed operating system on the computer and then check if the problem is solved or not.

Remove the static charge from the laptop and check if the system is working properly. Static charge gets stored due to frequent switch from the AC supply to the battery. If the charge reaches the threshold level, then some devices on the laptop will not work. Follow the steps which are mentioned in the user manual to clear the static charge of the laptop and check the network connectivity.

Thanks for all the help provided. I followed all the steps and now I am able to connect the laptop to the Wireless network without any problems. I think clearing the static charge from the laptop solved the problem.