Thread: Lenovo W510 freezes on startup when on mini-dock

Lenovo W510 freezes on startup when on mini-dock

I have a Lenovo W510 laptop which has Windows XP installed on it. I have recently bought the Thinkpad Mini dock for the laptop and I am facing some issues with the mini dock. I want to set up a dual monitor setup using the mini dock but I am not able to. I have two monitors connected to the mini dock, one monitor is connected using a VGA connector and other is connected using a DVI connector. The problem which I am facing is that the laptop gets stuck at the Windows login screen when both monitors are used together. I am not able to figure out what is causing such problem and hence need your help in solving the issue. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Lenovo W510 freezes on startup when on mini-dock

The problem can be with the mini dock which you are using. Normally the laptop will not freeze when it is connected to the mini-dock. As the laptop is getting stuck at the startup, it is possible that the mini dock is faulty. Replace the mini dock and check if the dual monitor setup is working on the laptop.

Which devices are plugged into the mini-dock apart from the dual monitor? If you have plugged in USB hard drives or pen drives on the mini dock along with the monitors, then disconnect and remove the storage media. The mini dock does not work properly with the removable storage media and display devices together. I hope after disconnecting the external storage media, you will be able to make the dual monitor setup work.

Try updating the BIOS on the laptop and see if it works. Whenever a new device is connected to the computer, it has to be detected by the BIOS of the system. If the BIOS of the system is not able to detect the hardware, the hardware will not work properly. Therefore I will suggest that you get the BIOS updated on the computer and then check if the minidock is working properly when connected to the laptop or not.

For any device to work properly on the computer, the proper drivers associated to the device must be installed. If the proper drivers are not installed on the computer, the device may not function properly. Search for the latest drivers for the display adapter on your laptop and install it. After installing the latest drivers for the display, the dual monitor setup should work without any problems.

I was also facing the same problem with the Lenovo laptop which I am using. The laptop used to freeze when it was connected in dual monitor mode. After searching for solutions, I finally found out that the problem was due to the Nvidia drivers installed on the computer. I replaced the driver on the computer and now it is working properly.

Thanks for helping out. I updated the graphics driver on the computer and now the dual monitor on the mini dock is working properly. While configuring the dual monitor setup, the graphics driver were not responding and hence the system was freezing. Updating the graphics drivers on the system, solved the issue.