Thread: BIOS Problem with Lenovo W510

BIOS Problem with Lenovo W510

Hello there, I have a Lenovo W510 laptop which is installed with Windows XP on it. From past few days the laptop is acting up weirdly. Sometimes the laptop does not boot up when the power button is pressed. Also sometimes the laptop does not detect some of the hardware which is connected. I am suspecting that there is some problem with the BIOS of the laptop which is creating such problem. If anybody here knows how to solve the issue then please suggest some solutions.

Re: BIOS Problem with Lenovo W510

May be the motherboard of the laptop is having some problems and hence the laptop is not able to detect the hardware sometimes. You can get the motherboard of the laptop checked and if there are any faults with it, get it replaced. Once the motherboard is replaced, you will not face the same problem again.

Try clearing the static charge stored on the laptop and see if the laptop gives the same error or not. Sometimes the static charge on the laptop reaches a threshold level which creates problem with the detection of all the devices on the laptop. To solve such a problem, you will have to clear the static charge from the laptop. Remove the battery and press the power button. Keep the power button pressed for about 30 seconds and then replace the battery. See if the laptop is working properly or not.

There is a battery located on the motherboard of the laptop which is responsible for saving all the information which is required for booting. If the voltage of the battery is low, the booting information will not be saved and laptop will not boot. Therefore open the laptop and locate the battery on the laptop. Remove the battery and check the voltage across the battery. If the voltage of the battery is less than 2 volts, replace it and check the performance of the laptop.

As you think there is some problem with the BIOS of the system, try and get it updated. Go to official website and download the updated BIOS on the computer. Using the updater file on the laptop, update the BIOS on the system and see if the problem is solved. After updating the BIOS on the system, configure it and see if it works.

Hey thanks for replying to the post. As suggested I downloaded the updated BIOS file on the computer but I dont know how to update the BIOS using the file. I have heard that updating the BIOS improperly can lead to laptop going bad, So can anybody here help me in updating the BIOS using the updated file?

You will have to run the update file from DOS environment on the computer. Start the laptop in DOS mode and run the update file on the computer. Once the file is executed, let the procedure complete. The update file can also be used in Windows mode but it should be avoided as it may lead to system getting corrupt.