Thread: Thinkpad X201 Fan Noise Too loud

Thinkpad X201 Fan Noise Too loud

I have a problem on my laptop fan which is making too much noise when I switch it on. I had given it to service center to get a replacement for my dead 80GB hard drive. But as I got that back it worked well for some days and then there is lots of noise now. I just download CPUCool, but I don't understand much of it. What can be reason behind that. Does it is broken.

Re: Thinkpad X201 Fan Noise Too loud

Usually when your cpu is heated then the cpu fan rolls faster to take out more and more heat as possible. This looks like your system is getting more and more heated. That can be due to improper fitting or your fan is not working fine. There can be dust issue also. Give that back to the service center and look for a fan replacement. The noise must minimal otherwise it disturbs a lot.

Buy a spray nozzle with a compressed gas capillary. Then put the tip by long think pip under your laptop and then push that gently inside you blowing of course. When it comes out you can see more dust so here you might need quick vacuuming. This whole dust accumulated since you have your PC which hampers the cooling of the CPU which stops when it is too hot.

I had indeed noticed some freeze scree in interval of 5 min. That is due to dust in side the laptop. I had cleaned everything but the fan assembly turns to make noise back again. The screen there looks normal. So I bought a small fan similar but not identical 5V and 0.18 or 0.8. The fitting was bit tough there but now the same is working quiet fine. If you can do that then you can do a replacement.

With increasing frequency and power of computers , components, heat and hard drives and CD / DVD drives spin more quickly, resulting in an increase in noise caused by moving parts, fans and ducted air. Indeed, more and more computer components re equipped with a fan to reduce the temperature by heat dissipation. The quality of the fan bearings determines its noise level, usually specified in the specifications.

When buying a fan, it is advisable to check the decibel announced. After a few years and the accumulation of dust, noise elements can also become noisy. Moreover, the flow of air between the wires and components of PC can also cause noise. It is therefore interesting to organize inside the PC to promote good air circulation while minimizing noise.

Vibrations are also a source of noise, so you should check that the internal components are secure especially hard drives and the cables are bundled and tied together. It is possible to buy screws rubber anti-noise to absorb vibrations. If that screws are lost or improperly fitted then you need to change them and get a better one for that support. Checkout that there should be proper ventilation.