Thread: Lenovo Thinkpad X61s Wrong BIOS update

Lenovo Thinkpad X61s Wrong BIOS update

I made the mistake of trying to update the BIOS of my Lenovo Thinkpad X61s and the end of the flash there was an error and I had shutdown the system as nothing was going furhter. I thought the flash did not work and I after restart I found my screen splashing. It is for confirm that my update has gone wrong. Does my board is dead. If yes then is there a way to fix that out.

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad X61s Wrong BIOS update

Not wanting to disappoint you but I think your motherboard is dead now. Best go to service center of Lenovo and give your laptop for repair there. It is possible that by replacing the BIOS chip can fix out the system or else you will need to replace the entire motherboard for that. There is no other software or tool which can fix out the system. Replacing the BIOS chip can only fix the same.

Normally you can clear CMOS using a jumper on the motherboard is better recommended first. It is also better if you can read the documentation for your motherboard. Add CLRTC to clear CMOS and by default check the jumper settings. Wait 10 seconds and returned to default position. Restart the computer and this does not work then your board is dead.

A other way of fixing this arranging for same motherboard which Thinkpad X61s has. Then remove the BIOS chip from that and put that on the motherboad. If you are not able to do that then arrange a service center for that. Basically the authorized service center has official part for the same and they will not much charge you higher. That works for longer time.

There are very less chances under such condition that your laptop will get back to normal. Do this insert a bootable floppy diskette and then boot without the normal screen and since it detects the same and boots up. Use a proper flashing utilites and this time does not interrupt the same in between. Try to download the BIOS update from the official site of Lenovo.

I found a utility called as UNIFLASH.exe Flusher. I think this will apparently not compatible with all types of chipset. If you motherboard is dead than you can either try out some of this utilities or just change your motherboard. Even if your motherboard worked then also there is no guarantee that it will stay for longer period. This is the time to get a new motherboard.

Here are some points which you must avoid while flashing BIOS. First do not flash with wrong program and bad flash utility. Do not flash bios in Windows rather than that flash should be done only under DOS and on diskette. Do not flash bios with a defective floppy disk. and never stop or restart the computer when flashing. If you have done any of this then your motherboard is dead.

Contact aqstech.com for a bios repair. Lenovo is going to want a fortune to replace the mainboard. Been there, done that.