Thread: Lenovo thinkpad R500 doesn't boot

Lenovo thinkpad R500 doesn't boot

I am facing a very weird problem with my Lenovo thinkpad R500 . Whenever the power button is pressed all the LED's on the laptop glow and the fan also starts revolving but nothing happens. The R500 does not boot at all. The operating system on the laptop is Windows XP. I am not a computer savvy and hence I cannot figure out what is the exact problem. Is this some hardware related issue? Please help.

Re: Lenovo thinkpad R500 doesn't boot

All the information which is required for booting of the computer is saved in the BIOS of the computer. The battery located on the motherboard is responsible for saving all the information on the BIOS of the system. Open the laptop and locate the battery on the motherboard. Remove the battery and check the voltage across the battery using a Digital multimeter. If the voltage of the battery is less than 2.5 volts, replace the battery and see if the laptop boots.

If the laptop is purchased recently, then I will suggest that you contact the customer care support of Lenovo. All the Lenovo products are covered with 1 year warranty under which any problem with the laptop is solved for free. Hence get the laptop checked at the service center and if the laptop is faulty, it will be replaced for free.

If the system is not able to access the system memory, it will not boot. Therefore open the laptop and remove the RAM chips from its respective slots. Clean the connecting terminal and replace the RAM again in its respective slots. Try to boot the system. If there are multiple RAM chips, then try booting the system using single RAM chip at a time. If for a particular RAM chip the system does not boot, then discard the RAM chip as it is faulty.

Try this and see if it works. Remove the main battery of the laptop and connect it to the AC adapter. Press and hold the power button till the laptop boots. While the laptop boots, press F1 to go to the BIOS setup of the laptop. In the BIOS setup of the laptop, do the necessary changes and save it. Shut down the laptop and replace the battery. See if the laptop is booting or not.

Removing the battery and presssing the power button really did the trick. Residual charge which was stored on the laptop was creating problems in booting of the system. The problem was solved after clearing all the residual charge on the laptop, now the system boots without any problems. Thanks for suggesting solution.