Thread: Lenovo X61s BIOS update gone wrong

Lenovo X61s BIOS update gone wrong

I have a Lenovo X61s laptop which is installed with Windows 7 64 bit on it. I was facing some problems with the laptop for which I tried to update the BIOS on the laptop but while updating the BIOS some problems was faced and now the laptop is not booting at all. I have heard that BIOS update if done wrongly can render the laptop permanently in non working state and hence I am really scared. Please share some information about the issue. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Re: Lenovo X61s BIOS update gone wrong

To solve the problem I would suggest that you download the updated version of BIOS on the computer. Start the update procedure on the computer from the file. Start the update procedure from the DOS environment and let the procedure complete. Do not disturb the laptop while updating the BIOS on the computer. Once the BIOS is updated, you will not face the same problem.

The best solution to the problem would be to take the laptop to the nearest service center and get it checked by the technician. Probably the BIOS update must have bricked the laptop and there is nothing much you can do about it. If the laptop is under warranty then it will be replaced for free. Hopefully you will get the laptop replaced.

Try the following troubleshooting steps and see if they help.
    • Shut down the laptop and Remove the battery.
    • Press and hold the power button for about 40 seconds.
    • Let the system sit for a minute.
    • Replace the battery and boot the laptop normally.
      The laptop should boot normally as the static charge gets cleared from the laptop. If the laptop does not boot, take it to nearest service center.

There is a battery placed on the motherboard which is responsible for saving all the Booting information. Open the laptop and locate the battery on the motherboard. Remove the battery from the laptop and check the voltage across the battery using a DMM. If the voltage of the battery is less than 2.5 volts, you will have to get the battery replaced. After replacing the battery, I think the problem will be solved.

I screwed my X61 tablet bios, lenovo wanted a little less than $300 for the replacement of the board. removing the CMOS battery didnt do anything in my case. searched for crisis recovery methods and didnt find any at the time.

I shipped it to AQSTech.com they did it for about a hundred bucks not including shipping. Why would lenovo even release an update if there is a chance of it failing?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGriffen View Post
    I screwed my X61 tablet bios, lenovo wanted a little less than $300 for the replacement of the board. removing the CMOS battery didnt do anything in my case. searched for crisis recovery methods and didnt find any at the time.

I shipped it to AQSTech.com they did it for about a hundred bucks not including shipping. Why would lenovo even release an update if there is a chance of it failing?
    Well, I agree with you. However, it is also a case when Bios update is not done properly. I have done loads of bios updates on different mobos and so far i have never had one go wrong. I will write the steps done by me to flash Bios below:

1. Download MS DOS 6.2 from Bootdisk.us
    2. Take a USB Stick and format it with HP USB Format Tool
    3. Transfer MS Dos System to USB Stick with Format Tool
    4. Download the ISO File for Boot CD Biosupdate and extract the contents.
    5. Copy all contents to the USB Stick and overwrite especialy command.com
    6. Boot from the USB Stick and if prompted enter "command.com" as local command.
    7. Procede with BIOS Upgrade

Sometimes the flashing of the BIOS takes place successfully on the computer but the computer does not boot up due to improper settings for the BIOS settings. Hence I will suggest that you open the BIOS settings on the computer and configure it as per the required. Once all the BIOS settings are done, check if the laptop is working properly.