Thread: Factory Restore using F11 at boot doesn't work on Lenovo X100e

Factory Restore using F11 at boot doesn't work on Lenovo X100e

Please help in solving this problem with Lenovo X100e laptop which I am using. The laptop is installed with Windows 7 64 bit on it. Recently the laptop was not starting and hence I performed a clean Windows 7 install on the laptop but after clean install of Windows 7 on the laptop I am not able to restore the laptop to the factory settings by pressing F11 while booting. Because of this I am not able to recover the operating system from the hidden recovery partition. Does anybody here knows how to solve the problem? Any help regarding the topic is more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Factory Restore using F11 at boot doesn't work on Lenovo X100e

Did you format the hard drive while installation of Windows 7? If yes then it must have deleted all the files which are present on the recovery drive and hence you are not able to restore the laptop to factory default. Therefore I will suggest that you create a recovery disk for the laptop again and burn it on a DVD drive for backup as the invisible partition on the laptop wont work.

The recovery feature of the laptop is dependent on the BIOS of the system. Hence if the BIOS of the system is having some problems, you will not be able to use the restore function using the F11 key. You can try and update the BIOS on the laptop and check if the restore function is working or not. Visit the official website of Lenovo and download the latest BIOS version which is available for the model of the laptop. Becareful to update the BIOS from Dos environment and not from Windows environment.

Some features on the laptop do not work due to Static charge storage on the laptop. Due to use of laptop over and over again, static charge gets developed and stored near the motherboard of the laptop. If such situation occurs then some features of the laptop will not work. To clear the static charge from the laptop, remove the battery and press the power button. Keep the button pressed for about 30 seconds. Replace the battery and then check if F11 is working on the laptop or not.

The factory restore function which is available on the Lenovo thinkpad is a very fragile feature. The user will not be able to access the restore function on the laptop if the Master boot record is overwritten. As you have installed the operating system again on the computer, the MBR on the system must be overwritten and hence you are not able to access the factory settings of the laptop.

Yes as you have a formatted the hard drive of the computer, the recovery function will not work on the computer. Hence I will suggest that you get the laptop checked by the service center and get the restore function back on the computer. The service center executives will be able to do the required restoring on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Simond View Post
    Some features on the laptop do not work due to Static charge storage on the laptop. Due to use of laptop over and over again, static charge gets developed and stored near the motherboard of the laptop. If such situation occurs then some features of the laptop will not work. To clear the static charge from the laptop, remove the battery and press the power button. Keep the button pressed for about 30 seconds. Replace the battery and then check if F11 is working on the laptop or not.
    Simond, I just wanted to thank you for this tip. It worked for me!