Thread: Want to make external monitor as primary on ThinkPad T400

Want to make external monitor as primary on ThinkPad T400

I am using Lenovo ThinkPad T400 and have an Acer p223w monitor. By some reason i am not able to make my external monitor as a primary one. I have tried using Presentation Doctor where i have set my external monitor as a primary one but it says that I have illegal parameters of color depth and resolution.

Re: Want to make external monitor as primary on ThinkPad T400

When you change the default monitor for one to two and then took off the second.
    (Secondary monitor) that naturally laptop went black and he has screwed it all up.
    windows identified with the two nolonger monitor fault here.
    The installation of drivers has put the monitor on two as well.
    So remember to put the displays back to their correct positions before disconnecting the secondary monitor.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

You have to select for the one marked 2 and make it as a primary, or whichever one that you're not currently clicking on. go to property by right clicking on it. Switch to the tab which represents the resolutions of the monitor. Noe select the screen number 2 and make a check to make it a primary monitor.

I have a Fujitsu S2210 on which i have installed Windows Vista which has an ATI Xpress1150 integrated controller and i followed the following steps to make my second monitor as primary.
    1. Used Fn F10 key to swap monitors, I have set it so that only an external monitor is enabled.
    2. Now it is primary monitor then to select the notebook monitor as my extended desktop, I have used the windows display manager.
    3. The ATI catalyst control center will be reflecting these changes, so once you have done it then you may use CCC for further changes.

You may get some idea by watching the setup of my HP laptop with Vista installed.
    1. Click on the Windows icon and X keys together to open Windows Mobility Center.
    2. Select Connect display and then go to Show my desktop on the external display only and then press Apply.
    3. Now you have your external monitor as a display.
    4. If you want to Personalize then right click on the external monitor.
    5. Open Display Settings and keep in mind that an external monitor have became the main one so select for the second one which is your laptop's monitor and select “Extend the desktop onto this monitor”.

I have seen that for some laptops, "primary display" option would be disabled so if this would be case with you as well then you just have to disable an external monitor. Then press the F10 or whatever key that shows "LCD/CRT" in order to make your external monitor as a primary monitor. Then at the end you have to extend your desktop to the laptop's display.