Thread: Lenovo Thinkpad T41 does not hibernate

Lenovo Thinkpad T41 does not hibernate

When I try to put my computer into standby it fails. There is a error on the system related to some keyboard. I had disconnected all the usb device and other printers attached to the system. But still the pc does not goes in hibernation. My laptop is Thinkpad T41 and it shutdown very slow. I am using Windows XP with 512 RAM and I just use it for internet surfing. Need help here.

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T41 does not hibernate

There might be some issue with the PC configuration interface and advanced energy. For that right click on My Computer and then Properties. Now click on Hardware and then choose Device Manage tab. In that double on the Computer and then right click on the line that will appear below saying PC configuration interface and advanced energy. Choose here to Update Driver and reboot your system.

After trying to put it in PC mode in standard shutdown you will not face any issue. Check that your system can properly shutdown and restard. If you install any new hardware and then first remove that and rebooted to redetected all components and reinstalled the drivers. In my case I got a message that tells me that the video card is not compatible with this mode which appeared after adding a GPU.

The hibernation is totally not recommended except for businesses. It eats all the ram and it is pointless to hibernate the system. Hibernation saves everything that is in process and in use on the PC. That fact that you are leaving immediately on hibernation then better shutdown system. I do not see the need for an individual to hibernate a system and better shutdown the system.

There is way to check that out. For that you will need to enter Windows Registry and perform some hacks. If you really want to use it and you have a problem on it then you need to edit Windows registry. Click on Start and then clck run. Type on regedit. In the editor look for the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ PowerCfg. Check that it is enable by setting the value to 1.

There is command for that which can offers you to turn the feature on and off. If you can properly shutdown and start your pc then use this command I will not recommend you to use hibernation. The command i powercfg / h is which returns Unable PAE enabled. You can type this on cmd. It is advice that in Windows if the PC has more than 4GB of RAM then only it enables PAE mode.

Hibernation puts lots of pressure on RAM. Basically closing the lid of laptop sends your laptop directly to standby. The contents of the RAM will be saved on the hard disk in a file named hiberfil.sys at the root of the system partition. The contents of the RAM is stored on a nonvolatile medium, the computer no longer needs to be fed. By cons of hibernation and out of sleep this will take a little longer than the sleep easy because it will copy all the contents of RAM to the hard drive.

angry Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T41 does not hibernate

Hi, i have a similar problem with the hibrnate and standby mode on my t41 thinkpad ibm.....However, finally I identified the cause but not the problem...I found that the internet cable when removed, the pc would run hibernation or standby only. As soon as the internet cable is located in position, the pc will not enter into these modes...??? I assume some continuing signal or electro pulse makes it not work or some RAM is used up??? eother way, it would be useful if someone had some idea as to what the problem is or/and if a driver update is available for this problem...PLEASE .....

Hi rmv,

There are many post made on similar issues with the Ibm Thinkpad T41 and what I have heard is that the "Power Management Driver" just controls some of the Fn key combos. For certain it controls the Fn+F3 (screen off) and the Fn+F12 combos (hibernate). One of the user did a work around on the hibernate by programing the power key to put it into hibernate. http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4GXPEG

Hi, thanks for your comment....My T41 thinkpad PC will hibernate but only when the internet cable is disconnected, likewise, it will only standby when the internet cable is disconnected............. I use windows xp; my pc is quite old now (2004), and hardrive memory is a problem being 4GB free, 34GB total memory in 2 drives NTFC and FAT, also speed a problem, etc, etc. There is some 1279MB of RAM now as I had increased this last year.... I have tried adjusting the power management controls, and cant' see where these adjust for internet cable connection. So, if anyone out there has some experience of this PLEASE do let me know. All the best.

Your laptop might be also infected by a virus so try to use ComboFix. A user was also facing similar problem and after he scanned his pc via combofix he found out that the isapnp.sys file was infected by Trojan and which was the culprit for the hibernate problem. Read steps on how to use combofix from here - How to remove Virus / Malware using ComboFix
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Thanks Bon-Z...
    Following on about the hibernation/standby on windows xp T41......>>

Nice to know of the combo fix for viruses...I think I will hold back on using this tool at this moment in time. My dillignece shows this should be used when there is a real problem, assuming other software to remove viruses doesnt work etc.
    As I mentioned, my problem was more out of curiousity to see WHY my pc would only hoibernate when I pull out the internet cable. It doesnt take long to do this, as connects to side of pc..rather than in to my mini dock at rear of pc....however, it doesnt seem right, thats all.

If any one has a moment, experience of this, please advise a fix, just for the sake of it.

CHEERS

Have you tried using a different card for the internet. I also had similar kind of problem but after I removed the card and reinstalled it and the driver also the problem disappeared. You can try to disable Hibernation option by following simple steps given below. Goto Control Panel and Look for Power Options. Once you get in then click on Hibernate Tab and then finally Disable Hibernation.

smile Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T41 does not hibernate

thks 007;
    Just to clarify, I do need the hibernation/standby operations by using/operating the function keys F4 and/or F12....and as I say, these work great when first, the int cable is pulled/disabled from the pc. If I dont' disable the cable connection, the hib mode will cancel itself, and pc stay running. Not so clever after all !!!
    At the moment, it's not a big problem, just one more action needed to close down the pc....in hib mode that is.
    [Yes, I prefer to use the hibernate sequence , simply to start the pc quickly again in two or three hours later. Otherwise, power off and on, takes for ever on the T41...as you might know.
    One of the drawbacks of the windows pc's is the start up and close down time...in my opinion. Perhaps a apple mac next time , who knows].
    Anyway, back to the hibernate issue; so i dont' think removeing or changing cards wil help. will it???? CHEERS