Thread: W500 and Defragmentation problem

W500 and Defragmentation problem

Can't defragment my lenovo W500 I was trying to defrag my hard drive for imprving the performance and life of my hard drive. But i get the error message which states that Unable to defragment Entire Drive due to error.The system cannot finde the file specified. I don't know what is the problem behind this but any how please tell me is there some other way to do this my friends are suggesting to do this with a third party tool and not from the system tools provided in the windows vista

Re: W500 and Defragmentation problem

The defragmentation is to consolidate file fragments scattered on the disk to optimize the access time of hard disk when reading large files. To defragment, algorithms developed are used to determine the position of the fragments and unused disk space.
    1. In Windows 95/98/ME: If you use a program during defragmentation, disk status may change and the algorithm will start the whole operation.
    2. Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista: The file system NTFS allows to defragment during operation of programs, and it will not start early even if you continue working. However, files in use will not be defragmented.

I would like to Tip: You can defragment faster by forcing defragmentation programs before the launch:
    • Start regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ RunOnce
    • Right-click in the right window, "New"> "value chain"
    • Name it "Defrag"
    • Double-click it and enter: defrag.exe c:-f
    • Restart Windows and log

Defragmentation begins before the start of other programs.

It is possible to defragment a single file or a directory with freeware Contig from Microsoft:

defrag volume [-a] [-f][-v] [-?]

Parameters

volume
    The drive letter or a mount point of the volume to be defragmented

-a
    Analyze only

-f
    Forces defragmentation of the volume regardless of whether it needs to be defragmented or even if free space is low

-v
    Verbose output

Note: The volume must have at least 15 percent free space for Defrag to completely and adequately defragment it. Defrag uses this space as a sorting area for file fragments. If a volume has less than 15 percent free space, Defrag only partially defragments it.
    Last edited by Halina; 20-06-2010 at 01:27 AM.

If you insist on your disk is less fragmented as possible, it is an extreme solution is to run the defragmentation whenever the screen saver is activated JKDefrag is a small freeware program that uses the built-in Windows defrag to defragment your disk. As it uses the Windows API, it is also certain that the Windows defragmenter.
    Last edited by Lambard; 20-06-2010 at 01:32 AM.

By default, the Windows defragmenter can not defragment the paging file (swap, pagefile.sys). This is problematic because the speed of access to that file is critical. Also, Windows is not able to defragment the files being used as the registry.

There is a freeware that can do that PageDefrag :
    1) Start PageDefrag
    2) Select "Defragment at next boot" and click OK
    3) Restart your computer.

Defragmentation is one of the functions of Windows users the most famous, sophisticated or not. It is also a solution used to rhyme, sometimes regarded as a miracle cure at a lower overall performance of a computer. Fragmentation and action that aims to reduce (defragmentation) are two concepts very poorly understood, and we therefore offer a quick guide on the subject to help you understand them better.