Thread: Getting noise from Lenovo T400.

Getting noise from Lenovo T400.

Buzzing noise from my T400s is, very annoying. I am not saying the fan noise, but at a strange sounds! After careful testing, I decided the noise level seems to be directly proportional to CPU speed. I use Windows 7 and the ThinkVantage Power Management. I switch to advanced mode to power plan and System Settings; one can choose the following four largest CPU speeds Max, adaptability, low and lowest. Switch to the maximum, hit Apply give me an annoying level of sound that is noisy obvious. But I need to know the answer why I am getting noise from Lenovo T400.

Re: Getting noise from Lenovo T400.

I am also facing the high pitch screaming noise problems. The noise level is directly proportional to CPU speed. When the CPU is running at top speed, the noise is loud and annoying. At the lowest CPU speed, the noise was not obvious. Set CPU speed to "adaptive" in power management, noise rise and fall. This noise will not appear related to SSD, or other operations. This noise exists in the Windows XP and window 7. I have also tried to update to the latest drivers but it do not solve the problem.

I believe that the noise is widely known as the "piezoelectric noise", which seems to CPU speed / throttle and the use of capacitors on the motherboard. The noise level is related to the CPU's workload, p - state status, the current clock frequency, power saving mode, if the docking of the notebook computer CPU to throttle increases and then becomes a loud noise. Piezoelectric noise also found in some of the other laptops, such as Dell and Sony.

This noise is the most common, if not all, T400s. In a recent T400s motherboard, I do not expect any major differences in the piezoelectric noise. Therefore, in this moment, to change the motherboard does not seem to solve the problem, or it will not do better. However, these noises are not universal. Of course not all Core 2 Duo notebook computers affected by this noise. Noise level can be reduced and set to run RMClock monitors system CPU running slower lower-cost P - State and throttle.

Noise is not an isolated case, but in general for many T400s. I do not know if Lenovo has updated the board design or the manufacturing system for resolving this issue, I do not know whether to replace the Main Board will be able to solve the problem. Another reason is to avoid replacing my motherboard, my Computrace Complete from Absolute always enabled in my BIOS. I definitely need to call if I want it to be removed.

I have also configured T400s SP9600 2.53GHz but the same annoying noise, that depends on the CPU load. Whether from the association in the official response? I have just had another reason for my motherboard (Power-screen instead of dying in some way), it does not solve the problem. I also use an X301 U9400 1.4GHz work with so you can reduce the noise, but really rare. Any remedy for this problem on the T400s?

I have heard about this C4 disable solution but I want to know is this solution is formal solution for Lenovo. What will be adverse effects of this solution? Will cause overheating problems? Will shorten battery life? Will it shorten life-expectancy? Lenovo local store guy does not help to solve this problem, I. They said, they are also searching for this solution like me, and they do not know the solution for this. I am a true fan of Lenovo ThinkPad. I'm sure, Lenovo Group has a formal say about it.