Thread: Lenovo Ideapad U550 Webcam won't start

Lenovo Ideapad U550 Webcam won't start

I am having a Lenovo Ideapad U550. There is a problem with my laptop. I am unable to use the webcam here. I have to chat with my friends. When I started Skype it showed me that it is not able to find the camera. This was working fine before, but it stopped suddenly. I am not able to get any solution for the same. I had tried to update the drivers and other settings also but it is not working. I want some help here to resolve this problem.

Re: Lenovo Ideapad U550 Webcam won't start

Try out the following to update the drivers:
    • Go to the Device Manager (Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance (or System) -> System (If you have not already done) -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager button).
    • Then go to WEBCAM (HP Webcam for those with an HP computer).
    • Jump in the driver tab.
    • Uninstall the driver.
    • To restart when requested.
    • When the machine is turned back on, the driver will be reinstalled. And the camera will start working.

To test whether the camera is in working condition or not you have to test the same through a third party software. You can install Yawcam in your pc. It is one of the best software I had seen. Even if you are not having camera drivers this tool will update the same. And then test it. Most of the time this will start working. But if it fails then you have to use another one. The camera must be listed in Device Manager. If it is not then it means it is a hardware failure.

I am also dealing with the same issue. But here I am using a HP laptop. I am not able to figure out why this thing is so slow and outdated. I had tried updating the drivers but it is not helping. I had tested different software also. I think it is better to get a usb web camera instead of taking the entire laptop to a service center. It will be a time consuming process. Compare to that a usb camera will be lot more cheaper.