Thread: Mail.app will not reopen after closing app

Mail.app will not reopen after closing app

I am working on a MacBook Pro which is already installed with the OS X 10.5.8 and Mail.app 3.6 (936). I have installed the updates already. My issue is that I will be using mail.app (configured as an IMAP account) entire day and exit from the application without any single problems but if I am trying to reopen the application without primarily rebooting the computer, the mail hangs and wouldn't relaunch. This problems happens without fail. There are only two way throgh which I am getting authorized to relaunch the mail.app: reboot the computer or relaunch the Finder. What can I do to resolve this issue?

Re: Mail.app will not reopen after closing app

I was running with the similar issue and started a month or so and the only method that I could fix, it was to turn off the Junk Mail feature properly . I then held out for a Mail update that would hopefully resolve this. With 10.4.3, I moved again for another trial but it still crashed. So I tried some different thing and I was hesitant to perform before... I clicked on the "Reset" button in the Junk Mail preferences. Apparently the training file has been corrupted.

Since you have Mail automatically then you need to check for new mail during startup -- you will have to unplug your Internet connection (remove out the Ethernet cable or switch off the AirPort) so you can have time to work with the preferences.

When launching the Mail.app 2.1 and accessing more than one messages on diffeernt IMAP accounts the program suddenly got freezes and the "error has occurred" dialog poped up. A force exit fromm the application is then important to be continue. Restarting Mail.app sometimes going very well and everything was OK , in that more messages are downloaded, but the freeze can occur so many times before all mail is downloaded. This looks to occur more when a lot of spam email is processed . I am using Mailtags 2.1.1 as well as Spamsieve 2.6.4. Both of the programs are being used to process incoming mail, so I suspect an compatibility issue or a mis-configuration on my part.

When launching the Mail.app 2.1 and accessing more than one messages on different IMAP accounts the program suddenly got freezes and the "error has occurred" dialog poped up.
    I didn't got this type of message before and such type of issue . Is it Mail, SpamSieve, or the OS that’s showing the error dialog? What is the actually text of the error message? Which one Mail plug-ins, you have installed besides SpamSieve? The next time it happens, instead of force-exit, please browse the Activity Monitor, click on Mail in the list, and then select View => Sample Process. Save the sample to a file.

I think that the occurred from the OS. this is the standard dialog when a Mac Application got hanged. It gives an option to send a report to Apple and to terminate the program. By the way, choosing this option to close does not terminate the program. Then in the force quit menu, Mail.app is shown in red and displays "(not responding)".

Plugins: Mailtags 2.1.1 and Mail Act-On 1.3.2

I will try to reproduce the issue and send along the activity monitor reports. It looks to be an intermittent issue for some causes.

Thanks once again.

I think, there is no any defined dialog when an application moved into hang position . It seems as just you are referring to a crash. A hang is committed when an application continuously running but it is not responding in well procedure. A crash happens when this does something invalid and the operating system restricts it to get execute. (If it hangs while the OS is trying to restrict it, that's different case but the crash is the actual issue) Please can you post me the file:
    /Users/<you>/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Mail.crash.log
    So that, I can see why Mail crashed.