Thread: Connecting iPod touch to a Mac

Connecting iPod touch to a Mac

I have bought a Macbook Pro which has Mac OS X 10.6 installed on it. Along with the Macbook I had also bought an iPod touch 16gb. I am really new to Mac systems and hence want to know how to connect the iPod to the Mac system for transferring data on it. Is there any special application required for transferring data from the Mac system to the iPod? Please help.

Re: Connecting iPod touch to a Mac

Every Ipod is provided with a connecting cord. Connect one end to the iPod and other end to computer. Let the iPod get detected by the system. Once detected, transfer the data from the macbook to the iPod and after completing the transfer, disconnect the iPod and enjoy the music. Hope the post helps.

Mac systems will not detect the iPod as a mass storage device but as a music player only. Hence just connecting the iPod to the computer will not help in transferring data. You will have to install an application known as iTunes to sync the data from the computer to the iPod. Install the iTunes and add the files which are to be added to the iTunes library. Once done sync the ipod and check the if the music is available or not.

When you connected the iPod to the Macbook for the first time, click on the iPod icon and click on restore button. Let the procedure complete. This will ensure correct storage format and updated firmware on the ipod. After restoring the firmware, you will not face any problems while syncing the iPod.

Thanks for replying to the post really fast. I downloaded the latest version of the iTunes and installed it. I restored the iPod as suggested and then synced the music on the iPod which was successful but now after disconnecting the iPod, I am not able to connect the iPod again to the macbook. I cant figure out what exactly the problem is and hence need your help.

Try resetting the ipod and then connect it to computer. The steps for resetting the iPod are provided at the official website of Apple. Refer the steps and reset the iPod. After resetting the iPod, check the functionality of the iPod before connecting it to the computer. Resetting the iPod should help in solving the problem which you are facing.

I followed the steps which are provided by you and the iPod was reset successfully. After the iPod was reset it got detected on the Mac without any issues. I had begun to think that the iPod was faulty but I guess it was just soft firmware glitch.