Thread: How to use built-in web camera on Medion laptop

How to use built-in web camera on Medion laptop

Hello there, I have recently bought a slightly used laptop from a friend of mine. It is a Medion Laptop which had Windows XP installed on it. I updated the operating system on the laptop to Windows Vista few days back. I want to use web camera feature while online chatting but I dont know how to use the built in laptop on the Medion laptop. My friends are not able to see me while chatting. Is there any special configuration required for using web camera while chatting? Please help.

Re: How to use built-in web camera on Medion laptop

While using any video chatting software on the computer, all the settings required are configured automatically on when the application is started. Just start the application for video chatting and click on Web camera icon. Wait for the web camera to initialize. Once the web camera is initialized, you will be able to see the output image of your web camera along with your friends.

You have mentioned that people are not able to view your web camera images hence I think that the web camera installed on your laptop is not working properly. The laptop is also not new, hence there is high possibility that the web cam itself is faulty. Try the default troubleshooting steps for testing the functionality of the web camera and implement appropriate solutions.

The windows operating system update which you carried out on the laptop must not have completed properly and hence you are facing such problem. Try repairing the Windows installation on the computer and then check the web camera. Insert the installation disk and boot the system from it. Start the repair procedure and let the procedure complete. Once the procedure is complete, check if you are able to use the web camera or not.

I tried to repair the operating system on the laptop and after completing the procedure I configured the webcam on the laptop but it still did not work. All the friends are only able to see a blank screen while chatting. Is there some hardware related issues? Will tweaking the laptop some more help in solving the problem? Please help.

You will have to activate the built in camera on the laptop for using it. To activate the camera on the laptop, press and hold Fn and the button with camera symbol. The camera will be active and working. Check for the active status symbol on the computer to be sure if the camera is working properly or not.

Thanks for a very helpful reply, Crespin. I've just followed your advice and finally managed to get my new Medion notebook's webcam up and running. Shame Medion can't include these instructions in their own manual!