Thread: Ipod dead battery Problems

Ipod dead battery Problems

Its really annoying part i have with me iPod ever. Am having an Ipod nano 5 gen which is about a year old. It was working fine till yesterday but suddenly it got turned off and was not starting. I plugged it with my laptop via USB and found that battery was low. I charged it for about 2 hours but as soon as i removed the USB cable it again got black. battery completely down. I tried this process many times and the result was same.

What does this means ? Is my battery dead ? If yes please let me know some fix. Also, can i get changed it with Apple as my iPod may be in warranty ? What say.

Re: Ipod dead battery Problems

If it is under warranty than i'll suggest you to get it fixed by Apple itself. Dont try to do anything yourself because any conflict can avoid the warranty. In case your iPod requires repair only for the reason of the battery’s ability to hold an electrical charge has diminished, Apple will swap your iPod on behalf of a service fee.

Remember that your iPod is not appropriate for the Out-of-warranty Battery Replacement plan if a hardware malfunction is affecting an element of the iPod other than the battery, or if there is break on the iPod due to any accident, fluid harm, disassembly, unofficial service and unauthorized modifications.

Well, before confirming that the battery is dead, try doing the following. Connect your Ipod with your computer via USB. Hold down the Menu key and center Key together for about half a minute. An Apple sign must appear automatically after few seconds. If it appears remove the cable and see if the battery works now. I revived my dead battery by doing this. If it wont works than you definitely need to replace the battery.

Do it by your self or get it replaced by Apple.

I really appreciate your quick and valuable replies, friend. I had have purchased this iPod from a store and not directly form Apple. So could you guys please make me know how can i contact or send my iPod to apple for replacing the battery ?

Also let me know the DIY (Do It Yourself) process to replace the batteries in case Apple wont do it.

Thanks again for all your helps.

Re: How get service from Apple

It's not difficult to get service directly from Apple. You can make use of the Online Service Assistant from this address. You may as well get in touch with your neighboring Apple Retail store. Otherwise, you can make contact with Apple Technical Support. If Apple determines that an iPod cannot be repaired, in that case Out-of-Warranty Service is not obtainable and the iPod will be send back to you.

To get done DIY, you need to have enough information for the same. I found a nice guide containing step by step process for replacing iPod batteries. Just have a look to this: iPod battery replacement .

This will definitely help you.

Here are some tips that must be followed to keep your iPod battery long live:

Update to the Latest Software

Always make sure iPod has the latest software from Apple, as engineers may find new ways to optimize battery performance. For instance, early iPod models without a dock connector benefit from update 1.3 or later. Using iTunes 7.4 or later, you can update your iPod with the latest software. Put your iPod in its dock or plug it into your computer and iTunes will notify you if an update is available.

Use iPod Regularly

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month. If you use your iPod infrequently (gasp), you might want to add a reminder to your calendar program.

Extend Your Battery Life

If you want to extend the battery life of your iPod for any given charge cycle, you may conserve power by following these tips.

Hold and Pause

It may seem obvious, but set the Hold switch when you aren’t using your iPod. This will prevent iPod controls from inadvertently waking up iPod and using unnecessary power. Also, if you are not listening to iPod, pause it, or turn it off by pressing the play button for two seconds.

There are a few features that use your iPod battery more quickly. If you don’t use these features, your iPod will play tunes longer:
    1. Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi consumes power even if you are not using its features to connect to a network. You can turn it off to save power. Go to Settings > General > Network > Wi-Fi.
    2. Backlight: Setting the backlight to “always on” will significantly reduce your battery life. Only use the backlight when necessary.
    3. Equalizer: Adding EQs to playback uses more of your iPod processor, since they aren’t encoded in the song. Turn EQ off if you don’t use it. If, however, you’ve added EQ to tracks in iTunes, you’ll need to set EQ to “flat” in order to have the effect of “off,” because iPod keeps your iTunes settings intact.
    4. Minimize use of third-party applications: Excessive use of applications on iPod touch, such as games that prevent the screen from dimming or shutting off, can reduce battery life.
    5. Fetch new data less frequently: Applications on iPod touch such as Mail can be set to fetch data wirelessly at specific intervals. The more frequently email or other data is fetched, the quicker your battery may drain. To fetch new data manually, from the Home screen choose Settings > Fetch New Data and tap Manually. To increase the fetch interval, go to Settings > Fetch New Data and tap Hourly. Note that this is a global setting and applies to all applications that do not support push services.
    6. Turn off push mail: If you have a push mail account on iPod touch such as Yahoo!, MobileMe, or Microsoft Exchange, turn off push mail when you don’t need it. Go to Settings > Fetch New Data and set Push to Off. Messages sent to your push email accounts will now be received on your iPod touch based on the global Fetch setting rather than as they arrive.