Thread: Western Digital My Book Alias error Snow Leopard

Western Digital My Book Alias error Snow Leopard

I have a External Western Digital My Book. I wan to use the same as data backup for my system. I was using Mac OS X first. Then I upgraded to Snow Leopard. After upgrading when I connected the external drive it showed up a error. The error states that the alias My Book can't be opened because the original item cannot be found. It was working well before when I was using the same on Mac.

Re: Western Digital My Book Alias error Snow Leopard

I too have a similar issue with my Mac system. I got a new Western Digital My Book. When I connected the same to the system to copy some data it showed out the specific error. But that is new one so it must work well on the system. This has made it unusable for the time. I think this issue is related to some compatibility thing in Mac OS X.

Here is a solution for this. First download Path Finder 5 on your mac system. As you get the install it and then right click on the drive in your Mac system. From the menu elect get info. A popup box will appear. In that you can see alias bit box. Untick that box and then reboot your mac system. Once done open your My Drive and it will work in Snow Leopard.

I had shared my Western Digital My Book on wifi. I had added this share drive via Airport Extreme. It works well before. But recently I had fixed my operating system. I had upgraded the same. But when I connected all things back again the same error appeared. There are some important data in that which I cannot loose. I think I will need to fix that on a different system and take backup of the same.

First all let me tell you one thing, if you keep the drive connected the the mac system at the time you are installing Snow Leopard then you will find this issue. Once you try to install the operating system then disconnect the drive and then install. Once done attach the drive back again. It will be detected by Mac system and then you can use the same properly.

In my case I had added the same drive on Wifi and that works well. There is no such bug occurred to me. It is possible that you have kept the drive connected to the system while installing the operating system which is causing the thing to provide error. Your system is not able to detect the proper format for the drive. Disconnect the drive and the reboot your system. Then attach back.

My Mac system is not recognizing the drive. I have a Western Digital MyBook Studio 1TB drive. I had recently upgraded to Snow Leopard. After the upgrade my system does not recognize the drive. I believed that this is a plug and play tool which is identified by the system easily. I had then searched for new drivers of Snow Leopard. After adding the same the drive worked well.