Thread: Daisy Chaining External Hard Drives

Daisy Chaining External Hard Drives

I need some help in finding out the number of hard drives which I can daisy chain. Before that I have two different hard drives. One belong to Seagate and the other one is LaCie. I want add this both to my Macbook and then use the same as data backup utility. How to daisy chain this external devices. What can do more under this category for gaining higher capacity.

Re: Daisy Chaining External Hard Drives

It is easy to do that. There is not much harder process here. The Mac system easily recognize the external drives which are connected via a external adapter to the usb support. They act as an extra space for the system used for backup. You can simply assign time machine to take regular backup and assign the external space to the backup process.

In my system I just want to add up a extra drive to the system for backup. I had attached around three external drives and that works smoothly. The drives are connected properly and they work basically on the type of connection you are using. It can be either USB or Firewire. You can simply plug the second drive to the slot. Most of the firewire drives have a proper slot in comparison to USB drives.

Try to take both the drives with a similar connection type. Either they both must be usb or firewire. That makes them much more functional to use. The slots to plug them are available on the rear side of the drives. Usually the firewire driver have the slot in them but the usb lack in that. You can simply plug the second drive and then both of them for backup support.

A physical firewire support is provided on the system. This drive uses up the port and it has a second firewire port which can be used to connect a another drive. The port is simply accessible by the system also. So if you try to arrange for firewire support connection then that will be much more helpful for you. You can connect as many drives you want.

A typical connection in Daisy Chaining goes like this. PC then firewire then first drive then firewire the second drive.This s not possible in a usb drive. You can then use then up up for data backup. There are some limitation is using this stuff. But for mac they are identified easily and there is not much need of driver support on the same. You can do the same with usb but with an external adapter.

It is recommended that the connections must identical as much as possible. You might get issue while chaining up a USB device with Firewire where the connection or disk sometime is not recognized. Similar connection types make the work much easier. You just need to connect them properly with each other and done. You can then copy your data in that.