Thread: Macbook doesn't detect external display

Macbook doesn't detect external display

The screen of my macbook pro broke, so I wanted to connect with the VGA cable to my computer screen Samsung LCD. Usually just plug in and everything appears automatically. There in the menu "monitors" (I can still see the lower right part of my screen, where the crystals were not broken) it recognize the screen but the screen of samsung LCD appears blank. Any solutions please help me so that my macbook pro recognizes the external display

Re: Macbook doesn't detect external display

If the mac is in mirror mode, the mac tries to display the same resolution as the main screen. If your LCD does not support it, it remains black.

As far as i know the MacBook is the primary monitor in LCD system it might work if you can change the monitor resolution / refresh to something that your LCD supports.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I have had the exact problem i got this problem solved by playing with the settings, I saw that mac screen is listed in the Preferences / Monitor as a "monitor of unknown type," and that the resolution closest available values is native 1280x768.
    By choosing the latter, with a frequency of 75Hz max scan, I get an OK image size 16 / 9 screen, and a band of + - 9mm colored vertical stripes as our sweet macbook is actually in 16/10 format at a resolution of 1280 x 800 native. Just moved to get my screen or almost, I am starting a Maintenance, which apparently takes place smoothly, then I restart, and there the screen started to display smoothly and finally started working.

Did you try to boot your macbook with dvd installer to see if by chance it would not be the drivers of the screen that would have taken a chestnut. If not yet you tried this then i will suggest you to do so without any hesitation. If it prompts than install the drivers once again. Install the driver by simply updating the installed driver but i will suggest you to remove the existing driver and install the new one.

Reboot with the drivers disc to install the drivers:

Start Apple Hardware Test: no problem
    Start by holding down the C:

If the system boots smooothly without any display , even with external display ( i mean to say that it remains blue - wide screen mode, is just the mouse that rides).

This situation clearly indicates corrupt system. it smells rather the graphics card HS
    Last edited by Halina; 26-05-2010 at 11:05 PM.

I had a problem somewhat similar on a PowerBook G4 Alu, and turned gray screen at startup and without external display without problem. I upgraded to Apple, screen HS and replaced by my MBP for already two motherboards replaced one week earlier ... I also thought that the problem was a bad connection between the screen and graphics card but I doubt they'd provided a Mac just for this problem.

Sounds like some problem with the Cable so i would request you to connect to both sides with ports. If possible remove the cable connectors from both sides and then carefully put them back together. It may be due to the monitor side was lose or something similar issue causing you problems.