Thread: How to use 27" iMac as display for Mac Book Pro?

How to use 27" iMac as display for Mac Book Pro?

I am thinking of using a new 27” iMac, mainly as the backup machine if my Mac Book Pro goes for the repair. Hence I want to use this 27” iMac as external monitor for the Mac Book Pro. I have already done the shopping for the mini display port and the mini display port cable.
    The problem I am facing is that when I am using the iMac in the Target Display more the mouse and keyboard and mouse and keyboard is not responding.

Re: How to use 27" iMac as display for Mac Book Pro?

I am also facing the similar problem, I was hoping that I will be able utilize my Mac Book Pro in a closed clamshell mode, and then use the iMac mouse and keyboard. But I was thinking that is it possible to do that with my wireless mouse and keyboard. If not then can I use wired keyboard and mouse for the same purpose. Any related reply will be appreciated.

Well first thing first you are allowed to connect the wireless keyboard and mouse to Mac Book Pro through Bluetooth. You are also allowed to use the wired mouse and keyboard connected to the Mac Book Pro, it will definitely work. The port on the iMac cannot be used for the Mac Book pro if you are using iMac in the target Display Mode.

Is it possible to connect the mouse and keyboard to both the iMac and Mac Book Pro, hence the iMac is put into target display mode; it will change to Mac Book Pro. Or I have to use two different set of keyboard or mouse. I will be waiting for your reply.

You are not allowed to pair that simultaneously, but you are allowed to turn off Bluetooth on the iMac first and then you can turn ON the Bluetooth on the Mac Book Pro to pair the wireless pointing and the input device. If you have ended using the Mac Book Pro and iMac side by side, you can turn OFF Bluetooth on the Mac Book Pro and then turn it ON on iMac.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

I want to ask few questions related to it that if you are turning off the Bluetooth on the iMac through Bluetooth keyboard then how can you turn it again ON?
    If you are able to use the screen sharing from the memory board remote access then the iMac and then turn it ON or turning it OFF might work for you. I think you have never encountered this kind of problem