Thread: Apple TV doesn't recognize .m4v files in itunes

Apple TV doesn't recognize .m4v files in itunes

Can somebody provide me some suggestion regrading this issue ? I have used handbrake 0.9.3 to make some .m4v files with the help of AppleTV settings . I have loaded up the files into itunes and after detecting the files,I thought that it will start to play those file but problem occurred between that. AppleTV is unable to detect them when I try to stream those files . I have tried my all the ways and then after, I came to sync them to AppleTV then after I just received an error message:

"this file can not be copied to AppleTV because it can not be played on AppleTV"
    If somebody have some suggestions then it would be most appreciated. Thanks ......

Re: Apple TV doesn't recognize .m4v files in itunes

The primary problem may be that you are lacking the file format or the source, where you accessed it, please check the status of the files and then come on to the next step.

The secondary situation can be, you have selected some bad options. In iTunes, choose your ATV Device and then just check out the Summary Tab.You should use Custom and not required to check on the "Only Show Synced" or similar to that.

Yeah ! that's right according to the above suggested post. Sometimes, the frame-rate reaches maximum for the ATV and that can be the reason of that issue. You should open the file in Quick Time and find out the perfect resolution, framerate, and bitrate also. Then after post that below with those or you should check them in the sense of ATV specs.

I have to reconfigure the framerate in HandBrake with the manual procedure from "same as source" minimum to 25fps for the ATV to manage 720p - The ATV preset performs automatically , you need not to do this .

I also got the same issue with my AppleTV. I have encoded more than 500 movies and near about 200 TV shows without single issues until the past some weeks. Currently, I have encoded two shows with alternate seasons and played very well in my iTunes, but they are unable show anything on my AppleTV. Seasons 1 and 2 that I have encoded of Family guy and Season 2 and 3 of How I Met Your Mother performs properly however.

I have performed that and the configurations match my other TV Shows that I have associated with my iTunes library. Resolution is 720 x 480, framerate is 23.97, and bit rate is just within 1500. I am going for re-encoding procedure but I would like to know your all suggestions for any solutions..

Quote Originally Posted by Snake08 View Post
    Sometimes, the frame-rate reaches maximum for the ATV and that can be the reason of that issue. You should open the file in Quick Time and find out the perfect resolution, framerate, and bitrate also. Then after post that below with those or you should check them in the sense of ATV specs.
    thank you very much Snake for your kind replies ! The framerate on single specific movie is 22.96 fps and 7523.99 kbits/s..

H.264 Decoder, 720 x 368 (857 x 368), Millions
    AAC, Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz

I would still need to know if someone suggest any input on how to fix this myself ,if can be possible. As I suggested properly, I have used Handbrake to encode just more than 1,000 videos completely with virtually without any issues until recently.

I have used the similar preset and similar ways of branching the videos in Lostify, but for some causes the AppleTV doesn't even got the videos stored in my shared library.

I am suffering with the problem with mv4 files that I have just converted using Handbrake Version 0.9.4 i386 .Currently, I am trying to sync those files for my iPod touch (3rd Gen.)and I need to convert them into the appropriate format. When I browse the source, I received an error message suggested that the source is invalid. Any suggestion ? Could it be the iTunes update or what ?