Thread: PS3 Blu-ray drive broken

PS3 Blu-ray drive broken

Again, its the second time for me. I have a PS3 console that i bought in mid 2008. After a year its Blu-ray drive got broken and Sony gave me the replacement. Now again i guess it is broken coz it shows nothing when i insert any game or movie disk. So, am here for any suggestion regarding this. What should i do now ? Is there any way to fix it or should i replace it ? Please help.

Re: PS3 Blu-ray drive broken

What is the warranty period ? In some of the countries, PS3 carries the warranty period of Two years. So if you bought it in mid 2008 that means it is under warranty and can be replaced by Sony. But as it is second time, i hope your console meets the warranty conditions.

Anyways, try to contact sony before taking it to any local pc repair shop .

I dont think Sony would replace the drive as they provide 1 year of warranty. As you said, it doesn't shows up any icon, if just this is the problem than first of all check the ribbon cable that is attached to the ps3 drive. The said problem occurs when the cable is creased. If it is than replace the cable and you will be done. If not, than you need to spend for the new drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    first of all check the ribbon cable that is attached to the ps3 drive. The said problem occurs when the cable is creased. If it is than replace the cable and you will be done. If not, than you need to spend for the new drive.
    I do agree with you, Gonzo. I had the same thing last week on a 60, and handing the upper part is broken, which is used to pressurize the water, holding it gently and I could spend a toothpick, I cut so it is large enough, lengthwise, pile on the pressure that is part and I did slide under the metal plate that keeps it!

If you find that drive is not broken and only the problem, is no icons after inserting disk than better update the firmware. Many times, similar problems occurs and are fixed after updating the software. Try it and let me know..

Here are the steps to follow to update the original version of the firmware available on your PlayStation 3. This operation will give your console firmware 3.0. It should be noted that there are two different ways that can achieve this, using your console or directly, using the manual installation.

If you can connect your PS3 directly on the Internet, either via Wi-Fi or Ethernet, you just turn on your console, then enter the menu "Parameter" and select the tab "update". It'll just follow the instructions on the screen to the letter and your firmware will be available in version 3.0.

If you can not connect your PlayStation 3, you can always do it manually. To do this, start by downloading that update.Place the freshly downloaded file on a support compatible with the console, or on the memory card is a USB key.

Do not disconnect the equipment directly to your computer because you do still need some manipulation. Create a folder that you name and then the PS3 inside it, create another one that is named after the UPDATE. Observe how to write the name that should be capitalized. Move to the file for updating the firmware through the copy / paste.

Once this is done, you can remove the storage device from the PC and connect to the PS3. Turn on your console then enter the setting menu and select "Update". Be careful to specify the location of the latter which in our case, should be "Update via Storage Media". Validate the process by pressing the button corresponding to "OK".