Thread: Backtrack 4 on a dell mini 10V netbook

Backtrack 4 on a dell mini 10V netbook

Hi experts,

I am trying to get Backtrack 4 to perform needed operations on my Dell 10V netbook. I can get it into the desktop only on the first attempt of login after reboot. If I restart the net-book again, I am getting some errors that is related to video resolution. The netbook supports the resolution at 1024x576 . I currently run Ubuntu on it without any problem.

Also note It installs very well but never detects the built-in broadcom chipset wireless card that is not my primary issues because I have a sub IOGEAR wifi card (atheros chipset) which I can use. would you suggest me about the primary issue that I got after rebooting netbook.Do you have any suggestion .

If you made some search on this topic then there are so many Linux user and specially running after installation of backtrack and commonly happened on Dell netbook or laptops. I am still in confusion that it is actually the issue of hardware or software issue or related to the compatibility of both . I managed to fix this by getting rid of my Ubuntu installation and installing BT4 only using my live CD. Seems to work fine for me now.

If you are able to do like this then you should try to go for this and I am sure it would also be helpful for you !!!!!!!!
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Backtrack having problem in DELL XPS laptop

hey !!!!!!!

I have a issue in backtarck 2 live CD, whenever, I am going to try to boot my Dell XPS m1530 laptop - touch pad is going crap and Ethernet card is not getting recognized by laptop, the only loop back address is coming . ifconfig -a gives only lo interface but same Live CD performs well in IBM laptop and also I have tested... Is here somebody can help me ...
    Last edited by Ameeryan; 07-05-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Hello dude,

When you start up your laptop, your computer reads your inserted DVD and it starts loading up backtrack. Is there a small prompt that says boot: During such type of moments, you just press the Enter key and it boots? if so, add

acpi=off

Then press Enter key, else press TAB and see how you can disable acpi....
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Unable to start KDE in Back Track 3

There are some issues with me during loggin into my installed backtrack. I installed BT3 on my hard disk. I get the login prompt at run level 3 and when I try to start the the start-X services then the GUI starts with fluxbox winman. How can I retrieve the KDE in the run level ?

So many thanks in advance

Actually, I am so far from this concepts but I will try to solve your issues, don't think that I didn't use it before and how can I help you . I can help you somewhat because one of the roommate of mine was using this software and i saw him so many times to work upon that .In Slackware all you require to do is run the xwmconfig tool to change your already selected X environment. If you executes the xwmconfig as root then the change will be global and edit the default X environment for entire users. You also can select the X environment with manually way within the KDM, but KDM is accessed from within run level 4 and not run run level 3. In Slackware the run level 3 fix is to run xwmconfig.

If you need the flexibility of executing either run level 3 or 4 at boot time, without fiddling with inittab entirely...

Re: Backtrack 4 on a dell mini 10V netbook

Back track is a Slackware based security distro. By the way thank you very much for these helpful suggestions . KDM worked for back track .
    In the meantime , I also tried out xwmconfig and it too seems to be a graceful method to change the GUI. BTW - I am a big fan of fedora , so I had no idea of run level 4 being used. In fedora it is unused.

Thanks once again....