Thread: How to find your stolen laptop?

How to find your stolen laptop?

Hello people, I have a Dell Inspiron laptop which has Windows 7 installed on it. On this laptop I save all the data which is important for my business. The data is really very important and hence I want to protect it. I have applied almost all types of protection for the data but I was wondering if the laptop was stolen, nothing would help and hence I want to know How to find a stolen laptop. Are there any means to track the stolen laptop? Please help.

Re: How to find your stolen laptop?

According to me the Laptop can be tracked by tracking the MAC address of the network interface card which is installed on it. Whenever any device connects to the Internet, the Mac address of the network interface card is stored at the ISP's data transfer server. Hence if the laptop is stolen and connected to Internet, then it would be really very easy to track the stolen laptop. So store the MAC address of the NIC for future reference.

There are some applications which when installed on the laptop track the location of the laptop by transmitting its location to the different remote servers. Such applications which help in tracking the stolen laptop, are paid software which means license has to be bought to install and use the application. If the information on the laptop is very important then it is worth investing the money in such software. One such application which can be used for tracking is Adeona.

I dont recommend installation of such softwares on the computer as the software can easily be used against the user. Installation of such an application can also lead to spying on the moment of the user which is using this application. To protect the data, I would suggest that you copy the data in some portable media and keep it in safe place as laptop is more vulnerable to get stolen. Hope the post helps.

Thanks for sharing various insights on this topic. I inquired about the application which you have mentioned and found out that the application is safe to use without any spying threats. The only information which I dont have about the application is that they have not mentioned the platform on which the application works. Hence I want to know if the application will work with Linux operating system as I am switching the operating system on the laptop to Linux from Windows 7. Please help.

The application works on all the platforms of operating system which are available. There are different variants for the application for different operating systems. You can choose the application depending on the operating system which you are using. Install the application and configure it according to the settings provided. Once configured, the movement of the laptop will be tracked whenever you want.

I installed the tracking application on the laptop and configured the application as per the settings provided by the developers of the application. After installing the application, I tested the application with some dummy tests for tracking and the good news is that the application is working great.