Thread: How to Recover M2TS from SDHC card

How to Recover M2TS from SDHC card

Hello Everyone,

I am using digital video for years and just now I have changed my ZR20 Mini DV with a Canon Vixia HF100, but I am facing a problem while using this. I have done a shooting of more than 2 hours of HD then M2TS video files are store on a 16 GB SDHC card.
    When I swap the card out, I do not what went wrong but the reader is displaying a message that it needs to be formatted. It is showing that it is valid card and also registered with the correct size when I am using the data recovery program.
    In short I need answer to the question that what best data recovery software for recovering M2TS from SDHC card

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: How to Recover M2TS from SDHC card

I do not why, your recovery program is not able to see the M2TS files or they are not present there. The SDHC seems to be a disk to the operating system. That usually formatted to fat32/16, hence if there is anything present on it you must be able to see it. It does not matter what data you having present on that whether it is movie or the text file.
    Just make sure that your PC SD reader supports the HC cards.

Well sorry for the wrong explanation actually I am able to take out the files from the SDHC disk before with the reader. But when I am placing the card back in to the camera it displays the message that check the card. So I need to know that the problem is with card. In clear words I am not able to take any data from my card.

But anyway thanks for the tip.

I am also facing the similar problem with one of the card I have used with VIXIA HF100 but the problem occurred suddenly when the card was in the camcorder. I think very few programs are designed to recover data from the card and most of them are not able to detect them. I have heard that very soon software for recovering data from M2TS will be available in the market. So I am searching for the same if you able to solve your problem then please mention the software you have used for recovering the data.

From where you have got the idea that M2TS files or the data is different from others and it cannot be recovered by the normal recovery programs. May be you are facing this problem because your files may be corrupted or lost.

I can only suggest you to put the card in the reader of you computer system then copy the file you want on your hard drive. If you do not find anything there then there is nothing present on your card.

You have not mentioned the recovery program you are using; I will suggest you to use PhotoRec. It is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.

Thanks for your reply
    The recovery software you have mentioned I have tried that but I was unsuccessful.
    I have copied the data on my computer system but my computer does not recognize the extensions for the files I downloaded.
    I have also tried for other recovery software which are present but the result is same. One software website emailed me with the message that in a month or so they expect to upgrade their product may after that I will be able to recover the data.

Keeping my fingers crossed.