Thread: Gateway P6860fx randomly shutting down

Gateway P6860fx randomly shutting down

I have recently bought a Gateway P6860fx laptop which is installed with Windows 7 64 bit operating system. The laptop was working fine but now the laptop keeps shutting down frequently. I am not able to figure out what is causing such problem and hence I need your help in solving this issue. So if anybody here can explain me why my Gateway P6860fx is randomly shutting down then it would be really very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Re: Gateway P6860fx randomly shutting down

The operating system on the computer is not working properly according to me. There are lot of files which are associated to the operating system of the computer. If any of the file associated to the operating system is corrupt or missing on the computer then the computer will not work properly. You will have to replace all the files which are corrupt or missing. If you have the installation disk of the operating system which you are using, then insert it in the drive and boot the system from the drive. Start the windows repair utility and let the procedure complete. After completion of procedure, see if the laptop is working properly.

You have mentioned that the laptop is new and hence I will suggest that you take the laptop to the nearest service center of Gateway and get it checked. All the laptops of Gateway systems have 1 year warranty under which any fault with the system is serviced for free provided the system has not undergone any physical damage. Hence take the laptop to the nearest service center and get it checked. If the laptop is faulty, it will be replaced for free.

All the functions which are performed by the computer are controlled by the Motherboard. The devices which are connected to the computer are provided correct level of voltage by the motherboard. Hence if the motherboard of the computer is faulty then the system will not work properly. Therefore I would suggest you get the motherboard of the laptop checked and if the motherboard is found faulty then get it replaced as soon as possible.

By looking at the problem, it looks like an overheating issue. Some amount of heat is generated by the CPU of the computer while executing certain processes on the computer. If the temperature of the CPU reaches a threshold level then it will shut itself down to prevent further damage to the internal component of the laptop. Check the temperature of all the components of the computer. If the temperature are high then shut down the laptop and check if the cooling fan is working properly. If the fan is covered with dust then clean it as dust can block the air flow in the system. After cleaning see if there is any increase in the performance of the computer.

If you are able to open the laptop, open it and remove the RAM chips from the respective RAM slots. Sometimes the RAM chips gets dislocated from their respective slots. If such a situation occurs then the system will not be able to access the RAM chips and hence will give such problems. Therefore open the laptop and remove the RAM chips. Clean the connecting terminals and replace them back in its respective slots. You can also try and boot the system using single RAM chip at a time. If for a particular RAM chip if the system does not boot, then discard the RAM chip as it may be faulty.

Most of the laptops face the problem with residual charge storage. Residual charge gets stored near the RAM chips of the laptop. If the residual charge reaches a threshold level then the system will not be able to the access the RAM chips. To bring the laptop to working state, you will have to clear the residual charge. Shut down the laptop and remove the battery. Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, replace the battery and see if the problem is solved.