Thread: Problems reinstalling Tiger on Macbook!!!! Hard Drive Dead?

Problems reinstalling Tiger on Macbook!!!! Hard Drive Dead?

I am new to the mac world and I have some problems. I installed Linux on my Macbook and I wanted then reinstalled Mac OS X Tiger. I changed my hard drive (160GB Hitachi purchased MacWay) with 60GB present in the Macbook when I bought it. No worries, he recognized immediately. It is therefore the 160GB hard drive. I insert the cd install mac and I run Disk Utility: strangely, it's my hard drive myself out with his name, description, capacity. I repair the disk, it displays in a bid: "Checking HFS Plus volume." then red text in the white "input file not found" and an error message pops up: Failed due to the Error: The underlying task reported a failure to close. Here is where I am, I'm desperate, I'm working on my mac. Tell me whether my HD is died..??

Re: Problems reinstalling Tiger on Macbook!!!! Hard Drive Dead?

Before you start installing the OS have you thought about creating a partition on your hard drive?? It must go into disk utility that is available on a DVD installation. I just made mine yesterday. By cons MacBooks are guaranteed a year but when is it the hard disk, it is a Seagate in my case. I bought a new one yesterday which is guaranteed 5 years, it is still not the same one sold in the original macbook?? If you think your hard drive is dead ... To recover your data the only solution is IMHO to call a repairman who can not recover your data or, alternatively buy an external hard drive enclosure and you will immediately set about the operation or not your hard drive.

Reboot to the CD / DV original holding down the C key throughout startup. Reinstall your system by choosing the option "archive and install" which will keep your drive your valuable data and settings from the old system. Repeat updates system (Apple menu> Software Update). Repair permissions with Applications> Utilities> Disk Utility. That should do (almost) new.

"Archive and Install" archive, it is obvious, while including the previous system folder "old system". This allows you to recover potentially important elements but if after a few weeks, nothing is malfunctioning or you need to restore, you can save this file to the Trash. Otherwise, depending on your activities, some cleaning may be needed: to direct the trash that is useless, external storage of some very large files or many little ones that are essential but are not widely used.

To start with ALT, press ALT you really early even before the start. On a desktop machine, you can force the ejection of a disk by restarting with the mouse button pressed. There must be equivalent to the MBP. How has your problem occur? There was an incident shortly before or at the time of its manifestation? Or have you done something special? Most importantly, your MBP is new, you say. IF you do not you leave, you should be able to get help under the guise of security.
    S.P.A.M=Stupid Posts And Message

Following a restart after using OnyX, my MacBook Pro system (Leopard) when I switch it gets stuck on the top screen white with apple ... I tried to restart the CD / DV original holding down the C key throughout startup. It reminds me of when the setup disk loose on an ipod) ... should I conclude that the drive is "dead"? Otherwise, what is the procedure? Reformat? How? I also tried (by pressing "s" at startup) but still the apple and the wheel Searching ... Thank you for your help because my last photographic work is on that hard drive.