Thread: Powerbook won't recognize new hard drive

Powerbook won't recognize new hard drive

Hi, I am new on this forum. My Powerbook G4 no longer recognizes my external hard drive after reformatting!? My external hard disk is a 400GB Freecom and I'm running Mac OS 10.3.9. I was on a newer version before (remember that, like 10.4.2 (Tiger?)) if it has a report. Hoping that you guys would be nice with me and will reply me soon.!! Thank you for your HELP!!

Re: Powerbook won't recognize new hard drive

I am having the same issue. I have tried all my best but still the problem persist. I come to acquire a Western Digital Passport Ext dd 120GB,
    my problem is that it does not work at all on my powerbook (OS 10.4.8), then it works fine on my PC. It was formatted in FAT32 and I re-formatted in NTFS, but in vain. It is not visible in disk utility, anywhere, and of course, the site of WD there is no driver MAC OSX. Anyone have a solution to my problem ...

While Mac OS X can read NTFS, I advise you to stay in Fat32 so that your Mac can write to it. your connection is via USB or FW? Try to format it as FAT32 from your Mac. Otherwise use MacDrive to make a HFS +, it will either install it by cons (MacDrive) on your PC to read / write to disk. There is also a two-headed USB cable and it seems that it works very well. One side, a mini USB to SD and the other cable splits into two USB port. The hard drive is powered by the USB 2 port powerbook.

I would like to suggest you to do Resetting System Management Controller (SMC). Try each of the following steps in this order before resetting the SMC. Perform tests after completing each step of troubleshooting to determine if the problem recurs.
    1. Press Cmd + Option + Esc to force quit any application that does not respond.
    2. Put your Mac to sleep by clicking the Apple menu in the upper left menu bar, then select Sleep. Reactivate the computer after it enters standby.
    3. Restart your Mac by choosing Apple in the upper left menu bar, then choosing Restart.
    4. Turn off your Mac by choosing Apple in the upper left corner of the menu bar, then choose Shut Down.

The destination is just there to say where you want to install OS X You can have a PowerMac g5 or mac pro with 4 internal hard drive, the destination can therefore selction volume or will be installed OSX. If nothing appears in the destination disk is that you set is formatted. You should try putting HFS+. For that, I think you have found, open Disk Utility, and format the hard drive format mac os extended journaled (HFS +). So once the proper format will be put on disk should appear in the destination. The rest will be more up soon, it will suffice to continue and click on install. We may cancel the disk check installation if you poured it had no scratches or fingerprints.

Then it most likely is that your usb not have enough power, is what happened to me with two external hard drives. Luckily one was a minor problem and I brought another cable in which you could connect the two usb drive if you needed more power, and it is solved. You can also format it as though it is easy solution.
    S.P.A.M=Stupid Posts And Message