Thread: Dell 580 PSU Upgrade

Dell 580 PSU Upgrade

I have got a new Dell Inspirion 580 as a gift and i am interested in buying in fact upgrading the Video Card and i think it would be also needing some more power as it comes with 300 watt PSU. I did spoke with Dell support and they did not helped me at all as they were telling me not use any as it can fire up my board.

Re: Dell 580 PSU Upgrade

Its been 2 years that i am using Rocket Fish RF-550wps PSU which is a good and standard ATX power supply. Actually dell uses their own power supplies which are slightly different from those of standard power supplies. But i make sure before getting this that does it supported by your laptop or not.

I do not think that it fries up your board as many friends of mine have installed new PSU's on their laptop. So just do not scared of adding up the new psu on your dell laptop. If you want to buy a new one so you must contact with the nearest computer accessory store who can give you the best idea about the the compatibility of your laptop with the different psu.

You must try for using the standard ATX power supply units which are generic as well. It would be either with 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector or with or without Switch to ON or OFF it. You can easily have any power supply unit from a local computer shop. Just ask the salesman for psu compatible on dell laptop.

Yes you are right that it would be requiring the more powerful psu and i suggest you to use PCI-Express ready power supply which has been mostly used with the SATA slots. For this your laptop would at least be needing 1 PCI-E plug, 36A on the 12V rail. You would be needing at least 18A on the 12v that runs the video card. Card itself uses the 7.6A tops.

The Dell UPS Line delivers cost effective power protection for rack-based IT, PBX and VoIP telecommunication equipment. Dell rates UPS models by Wattage to more easily select the best UPS model required for an IT environment. Dell UPS Rack models for four-post racks ship with tool-less rail kits that install effortlessly. Only Dell UPS systems feature the same feature-rich graphical LCD display similar to Dell servers.