Thread: Help needed to run Dell E1705 without screen/keyboard

Help needed to run Dell E1705 without screen/keyboard

Hey friends I bought a used Dell E1705 17" laptop from a friend, Its really in good condition and works great. I would like to mod it to run in a slim case using an external monitor. It means creating a new case for it to serve as an HTPC/server and getting constantly connected to our HDTV. I don't need help with the OS part but I do need the hardware aspect. So if any one has idea regarding this thing then do help me soon.

Re: Help needed to run Dell E1705 without screen/keyboard

Hello, I think you can do it. you are able to run a notebook without the LCD though you just have external keyboard. Still I advise that you leave the keyboard alone in case of system access. I don’t have any further views about it. I will ask my friend about it and tell you later, as I hope our sir gives you some help regarding same thing

I recommend his case thin 'skin' around the original E1705 chassis (with holes for ventilation and connector ports you want to use) because assembly processor heat sink is mounted directly on the palm rest the chassis of the laptop. In fact, I would probably just use the same chassis E1705 almost unchanged!

The main reason I wanted to create a new case and run the system without the screen was mostly for aesthetics and could double as a desktop thin, if you decide to change their functions. Part of the reason I wanted to remove the display because I have a Mac book Pro that I use normally and with the lid closed, connected to a keyboard and large screen. Many times, turning off the screen, the computer will keep a black screen, forcing me to close the lid, wait for sleep, then reopen the lid. Its Annoying. By removing the screen, I was hoping to avoid this common and distressing problem.

However, as you will be connected to a TV for 99% of the time, this should not be much of an issue as I'm using a white MacBook the same way (that the E1705 is replaced). Therefore, I gather from the comments, that my best course of action would be left virtually unchanged, and only the TV plugged in. I hope you got the solution that is the best for you, so now you can try the one that is best for you!