Thread: Can I use iPad 2 cases on new iPad 3

Can I use iPad 2 cases on new iPad 3

I am using iPad 2 from a year and now I am looking to buy a new iPad 3 for myself and give away the old one to my nephew. Anyways, I was using the iPad 2 with a custom case that I purchased from a local store. I was wondering if I can use this same case on the new iPad 3 device, it would save some bucks for me. Do you have any ideas about it? Thanks

Re: Can I use iPad 2 cases on new iPad 3

I think that the new iPad 3 measures little thicker and thinner than the iPad 2. So, if your case fits loosely then it might fit the new iPad. If the case is made of hard material then it will not work probably. There are a lot of softer cases and even some tight fitting ones are workign with the new iPad. So if you have an old card then dont buy a new new one unless you test and see if it fits your new device.

Re: Can I use iPad 2 cases on new iPad 3

Yes, I also believe that a leather or fabric case might work but the silicon or hardshell case will not work definitely. The SmartCover case also fits and works fine on both the ipad 2 and new ipad 3. This case provides zero damage protection against anything but can cause minor screen damage. If you drop the ipad with it attached then it will still break.

The ipad 2 has a 8.8mm size where as the new ipad 3 has a 9.4mm size. If you have one of those colorful SmartCase then it will fit the new iPad 3 properly but dont expect more from this case because if you drop the tablet then it is going to break for sure. In any case, you can choose different case that are listed below which is compatible with both the models:
    1. Elan Folio Cabana
    2. Survivor
    3. Intellicase
    4. Passport
    5. AirStrap