Thread: Mac Mini Internet slow after connecting to Belkin Router

Mac Mini Internet slow after connecting to Belkin Router

I have purchased a Belkin N 150 Router recently because I have received a new Mac Mini notebook for Christmas. I have followed all the instructions, which was present in the routers manual for its smooth working.

The new Mac Mini seems to work fine on the new wireless connection, but the next morning problem started. The loading of website was very slow and sometime the website does not load through the router.

I have no idea what wrong has happened in one night that made the internet connection slow.
    Any ideas about this Mac Mini Internet slow after connecting to Belkin Router.

Re: Mac Mini Internet slow after connecting to Belkin Router

Try to disconnect the Ethernet cable for you router and then insert it back into the Mac Mini. Disable the firewall on you Mac Min may be you are facing the problem of slow connection because of the firewall settings.
    Finally, the only solution left is to power cycling your router. For that disconnect any devices which connected to it, then unplug the power, and then plug in, reconnect all the device and check your connection speed.

I have tried that several times, I have also called Belkin customer support and they said that it is not because of the router. I have tried to call ATT I got to listen that do not support any other router but their own. I have also tried to do the speed check, when I connected the computer to the modem it worked fine but faced the same problem connected it to Mac Mini.

I was also having the same Belkin Router and returned it back because of the same issues. Someone has said that try to use different DNS servers like the Open DNS in place of your Internet service provides DNS server. I tried that but it did not work for me and finally arrives to a decision that the router is not working with my Mac Mini.

Now I am using Netgear one now and it is working fine, I will suggest you the same.

I have got the solution for this problem and found the culprit for this problem.
    The automatic MTU is the main culprit
    For fixing this problem you have to follow these simple steps.

1. Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Network.
    2. After that choose Ethernet and then Advanced which is given at the bottom
    3. Now choose Ethernet tab:
    . . . Now change the “Configure” from Automatically to MANUALLY.
    . . . Change “MTU” from Standard to CUSTOM. Then put 1452 and click OK.

4. Now you have to repeat step 3 for each and every service which is listed on left. For example AirPort, Parallels, etc. Then press Apply.

5. Shut down your Mac Mini, unplug the router, after that unplug the cable/DSL modem. Wait for a minute or two then, turn on the cable modem, then the router and last your Mac Mini.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"