Thread: WI-FI connnection problems in Samsung i8510

WI-FI connnection problems in Samsung i8510

Hello people, I have recently bought a Samsung i8510 phone which is working fine except one of the feature of the phone. The phone is not able to connect to the wireless router. I turn on the Wifi on the phone and search for the available networks. It discovers the wireless network configured for home but when I click on connect nothing happens. The wireless router which I am using is Linksys router. I cannot figure out what is causing such problem and hence need your help. Therefore if anybody else is facing similar WI-FI connnection problems in Samsung i8510 then please share some information. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: WI-FI connnection problems in Samsung i8510

Have you configured the wireless router properly? For the devices to connect to the router, the router should be configured properly. If the router is not configured properly then the devices will not be able to access the router and hence there would be no internet connection on the phone. Login to the router and open the configuration page. Check if the router is configured properly according to the settings which are provided by the ISP. If there are any changes to be made, make it and save the settings. Reboot the router and then see if the phone is able to connect to the router or not.

Restart the phone and then see if the Wifi connection is established or not? Sometimes the operating system of the phone gets stuck while executing certain application on the phone. If such a situation occurs then some features of the phone may not work at all or will give some problems while working. To bring the phone back to working state, you will have to restart the phone. To restart the phone, press the power button and shut down the phone. Remove the battery and let the phone sit for few minutes. Replace the battery and start the phone.

All the devices which are connected to the Wireless router get there IP address from the DHCP running on router. If the DHCP on the router is not working properly then it will not assign the IP address to the devices which are connected which will result in device not getting connected. Hence I would suggest that, you login to the router and restart the DHCP. To restart the DHCP, login to the router using the console cable and open configuration. Shut down DHCP and then enable it again. Now see if the phone is able to connect to the router or not.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

You will have to change the access point while accessing Internet using the Wifi. The default access point of the Internet is GPRS due to which you are not able to access the Wireless network. To change the access point on the phone, open the main menu and select phone settings. Select Options and click on settings and select general. Now change the access point to Wireless. Save the settings. Now you will be able to access Wireless network from the phone.

Yes changing the access point of the phone from GPRS to wireless really helped me in solving the issue. Now the phone is able to connect to the wireless router without any problems and the connection speed is also good. Moreover I found out that only WEP encryption is supported by the phone and hence changed the encryption on the network from WEP 128 bit to WEP.