Thread: How to disable 3G on Motorola Cliq?

How to disable 3G on Motorola Cliq?

Hello people, I have recently bought a Motorola CLIQ phone and I am facing some problems with it. I cannot figure out How to disable 3G on Motorola Cliq and hence need your help. I found out that from the day I have enabled 3G on the phone, the battery life has decreased. Hence I want to disable 3G on the phone. Any suggestions about the issue are more than welcome.

Re: How to disable 3G on Motorola Cliq?

I will suggest that you refer the user manual which is provided with the phone to know the exact steps for disabling 3G on the phone. User manual which is provided with the phone lists all the features and functions of the phone. It also contains the steps to enable or disable some features of the phone. Therefore I think it would be helpful for you if you refer the User manual as it will definitely contain the steps for disabling 3G on the phone.

Disabling 3G on the Motorola Cliq phone is really easy. Follow the steps below to disable 3G on the phone :-
    1. Open the main menu of the phone.
    2. Go to Settings
    3. Select Wireless networks.
    4. Select Mobile Networks.
    5. Click on Network.
    6. Now you will see 3 options saying "only 3G", "only 2G" or Automatic.
    7. Select the option according to your need.
    8. Save the settings.

Thanks for replying to the post really fast. By following the steps above I was able to disable 3G on the phone and now the battery lasts longer. I was wondering if it is possible to disable both 2G and 3G on the phone. Also is it possible to use only Wifi on the phone without 3G or 2G active? Please suggest some solutions.

Yes it is possible to use only Wifi connection on the phone without using 3G or 2G network. Wifi is completely different technology than 3G or 2G and hence can be used without them. To be able to use Wifi only on the phone, you will have to put the phone in an Airplane mode. In airplane mode, the cellular radio of the phone is off which means 3G and 2G is disabled. To put the phone in airplane mode, refer the user manual of the phone.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

There is no need to put the phone in Airplane mode for using Wifi on the phone. Whenever Wifi is turned on, 3G is disabled automatically and phone only uses Wifi connectivity. If there is any application which requires 3G to be accessed then 3G signal will be used for that application and after the use it will again be restored to Wifi. Also if the phone is kept idle for a long time, then the Wifi is disabled and phone accesses 3G network.

I was wondering if there is a way to block the use of wifi and 3g on a cliq? My son doesnt need internet so is there a way to place a password?

Quote Originally Posted by k-sham View Post
    I was wondering if there is a way to block the use of wifi and 3g on a cliq? My son doesnt need internet so is there a way to place a password?
    To make your son stop using wifi, you can simply secure your Wifi network with a password. And to disable 3g, the steps are mentioned above or see this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Panchu View Post
    Disabling 3G on the Motorola Cliq phone is really easy. Follow the steps below to disable 3G on the phone :-
    1. Open the main menu of the phone.
    2. Go to Settings
    3. Select Wireless networks.
    4. Select Mobile Networks.
    5. Click on Network.
    6. Now you will see 3 options saying "only 3G", "only 2G" or Automatic.
    7. Select the option according to your need.
    8. Save the settings.

Hi, I was reading your post and these have been pretty useful. I just bought a motorola cliq unlocked with motoblur and I could not have configurated because it needs to use 3G to get setup done. Just that is my problem I donot know how to enable 3G on the mobile, can someone help me...pleeeeease, how can I disable wifi and enable 3G?...and does it need the SIM card for this process??
    Last edited by psve; 13-08-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Please Theodot, can you help me, I need enable 3G to setup motublur on my motorola cliq, can yuo explain me how can I do that???...please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by psve View Post
    Hi, I was reading your post and these have been pretty useful. I just bought a motorola cliq unlocked with motoblur and I could not have configurated because it needs to use 3G to get setup done. Just that is my problem I donot know how to enable 3G on the mobile, can someone help me...pleeeeease, how can I disable wifi and enable 3G?...and does it need the SIM card for this process??
    Quote Originally Posted by psve View Post
    Please Theodot, can you help me, I need enable 3G to setup motublur on my motorola cliq, can yuo explain me how can I do that???...please!!!
    I guess, if you delete any previous 2G or any access points, 3g settings get up by default. OR your service provider can help you better for the same. Just call their customer care and ask them for the settings.

And as per the motoblur conflagration, you should checkout this AT&T Manual. Step by step process if given.