Thread: Display problem with Compaq presario CQ60-418DX

Display problem with Compaq presario CQ60-418DX

I am facing a weird problem with Compaq laptop which I am using. I have a Compaq Presario CQ60-418DX laptop which is installed with Windows Xp operating system. I upgraded the operating system on the laptop to Windows 7, but after upgradation of operating system I am facing some display problems with compaq presario CQ60-418DX. The laptop has built in Nvidia graphic card. The problem is the system freezes when some high end graphics application is started. So if anybody knows the solution, please help.

Re: Display problem with Compaq presario CQ60-418DX

Lot of laptops face the problem with residual charge storage. Residual charge gets stored near RAM chips. If the voltage of the residual charge gets stored near the RAM chips then the system will not be able to access the RAM chips. If the system is not able to access the RAM chips, the user is bound to face such problems. To clear the residual charge from the computer, shut down the laptop and remove the battery of the laptop. Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. Replace the battery and then check if the problem persists.

Windows 7 has lot of compatibility issues with many of the manufacturers of the graphic card. Due to the incompatibility issue, lot of devices will not work properly in Windows 7. The incompatibility issue rises due to the unavailability of the drivers. Go to the official website of the manufacturer of the graphic card and then download the latest drivers which are available for the model of the graphic card which you are using and which are supported by Windows 7. Install the drivers and see if the graphic card works properly or not.

By looking at the problem it looks like a typical heating issue. If any of the component of the computer gets heated beyond the threshold voltage then it will shut itself down to prevent further damage to the internal components. If any of the peripheral which is connected to the computer, shuts itself down then the system will freeze. Therefore check if the laptop is properly ventilated. If the cooling fan is covered with dust then clean the fan and see if the performance of the laptop improves.

All the functions which are performed by the computer are controlled by the motherboard of the computer. If the motherboard of the computer is faulty and not working properly then the system will not work as desired and will give rise to problems regularly. Hence get the motherboard of the laptop checked by some technician. If the motherboard of the laptop is faulty, then get it replaced. Replacing the motherboard of the laptop will solve the problem.

Check the applications which are making the system freeze. Some applications have improper coding due to which they produce leakage in the system memory. Leakage in the system memory means a process of the application takes lot of memory space on the computer. If such an application with leaky memory codes are executed on the computer, it will result in system memory depletion due to which the system is crashing. To check if there are any such applications running on the computer, open the task manager and go to processes tab. Check all the processes which are running on the computer, terminate the process which are taking up lot of memory space and are unwanted. After terminating such process, see if the system crashes or not.

According to me the problem which you are facing with the laptop is due to the operating system. There are lot of files which are associated to the operating system. If any of the file which is associated to the operating system is corrupt or missing on the computer, then the operating system will not work properly. If you have the installation disk of the operating system then insert it in the drive and boot the system from it. When the installer loads, select the "Repair current windows installation" option and let the procedure complete. After the procedure is complete, check if the computer is working properly.

Please install vista...couldnt be more reliable..always try to use the operating system that came with the laptop..though it may not be the best...it is the most compatible...you always upgrade at your own risk...what was the problem with xp anyway...fine I would suggest trying vista...the hp site has got all the drivers listed you shouldnt have any problem...also remember games and most applications run better in xo because it uses less of your ram..but if you want more of the interface then i think youve gotta go for vista and upwards...but this is the problem...driver compatibility...most of the new devices alone will be compatible with windows seven and will cost more..if you stick to an older operating system..you could reduce your peripheral costs...in your case i wouldnt say heating causes graphical issues...i do not even think it is an issue with RAM..its just the user interface hogging all the resources or a driver problem...shut down all the services you do not need and make sure you close any application thats running in the background...also please remember that the graphics application itself may be old...if you want to look on the bright side

sad Re: Display problem with Compaq presario CQ60-418DX

I am having a problem with my display. It is very dim i tried to udjust the settings till is not bright i would like to know what i may need to do. Please