Thread: iPod Nano 5G disappears when iTunes starts

iPod Nano 5G disappears when iTunes starts

I have an Apple Nano 4 gb iPod which I connect to my computer which is running on Windows XP operating system. The iPod was working fine but from past few days my iPod Nano 5G disappears when iTunes starts. Whenever the iPod is connected to the computer, it is visible on the computer but as soon as the iTunes start the ipod disappears. I have updated iTunes on my computer form iTunes 8 to iTunes 9. Is this because of the iTunes update? or Is the iPod faulty? Please help.

Re: iPod Nano 5G disappears when iTunes starts

First scan the system which you are using with an updated antivirus. It is possible that the system which you are using in infected with some kind of virus which is creating such problems. Virus's get downloaded while visiting certain website or while downloading some data from the internet. Some virus's have the tendency to get linked with the files of the applications which are frequently used. If such situation occurs then the application will not work properly. Hence scan the system with an antivirus and check all the files which are infected. Repair or quarantine the files which are infected. Check if the performance of the computer improves after repairing all the files which are infected.

Whenever any software on the computer is updated, the files which are associated to the older versions are replaced by the files of the newer version. If the update procedure is not carried out properly then the application will not work properly due to conflict between the files of the older and the new versions. Therefore remove the application completely from the computer and remove all the files/keys which are associated to the applications. Once all the traces of the application are removed, reboot the system and then install the application again and see if the iTunes is working properly.

Check the connecting cord which is used to connect the ipod to the computer. The cord which is used to connect the Ipod to the computer is an USB cable which consist of lines of conductors. This lines of the conductor can get damaged due to improper storage or handling. If any of the lines of the conductor gets damaged then the communication between the computer and iPod will not be proper and will give errors just like you are facing. Try changing the connecting wire and see if the problem persists.

Sometimes the firmware of the iPod gets stuck due to which the iPod will not be detected on the system. The firmware of iPod is a software which can get stuck in the loop like any other software. To bring the iPod back to the working state, you will have to reset the iPod. To reset the iPod , press and hold the menu and center click button simultaneously. Keep the buttons pressed till a grey apple logo appears. As soon as the apple logo appears, release the button. Let the ipod start and then connect it to the computer.

There is high possibility that the hard drive of the iPod has got corrupt due to which the Ipod is getting disconnected. The hard disk of the ipod develops bad sectors on the Ipod due to which It will not be detected on the system. Hence I would suggest that, take the iPod to the nearest apple service center and get it checked. If the Ipod is faulty and is under warranty then it will be replaced for free.