Thread: iPhone as a USB Pendrive

iPhone as a USB Pendrive

Hi guys, Recently i have bought a new iPhone and i have heard that i can use my phone as a usb flash drive. Is it true, if it is then how could i do it. Please let me know if anybody know how to use iPhone as a Pendrive as it would be helping me a lot if i can do it with my phone as well.

Re: iPhone as a USB Pendrive

Following are the steps to make your iPhone as an USB drive.
    1. Connect your iPod to the computer.
    2. Open an iTunes.
    3. Select a Source paneas your iPod.
    4. Click on the Summary tab.
    5. Select "Enable disk use" or "Manually manage music and videos." Either one will allow you to use iPod as a drive. If you select "Manually manage music and videos," iTunes won't automatically update iPod with the iTunes library. If you want iTunes to automatically update your iPod, select "Enable disk use" instead.
    6. The iPod disk icon appears on the desktop and in Finder windows, and in My Computer/Computer in Windows. Double-click the icon and drag files to or from iPod's window to copy them.
    7. Make sure to eject iPod before disconnecting it from your computer. Tip: The iPod display will say "Do Not Disconnect" when disk use is enabled (iPod shuffle's status light will continue to blink orange until after it is ejected). These are reminders for you to eject iPod first.
    Last edited by Venator; 31-03-2010 at 03:07 AM.

If you want to convert your iPhone as an USB Flash drive then you just need to install USB Drive Application from the web site of the cydia which is a freeware. After downloading this software then you have to mention the size of drive you would like to create for USB Drive. Whatever space in your iPhone will be specified as a USB drive then those space will not be recognized by the iTunes.

USB Drive of the Cydia has three modes provided in it namely Default, Drive+iTunes and Drive only. In default mode of this application Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) and Tunes synchronization would be active and it will not allow any daemon application to install. In Drive+iTunes mode PTP interface would be replaced by an USB drive that is Mass Storage interface. In this mode you can use your iPhone as an USB Drive and you can synchronize your phone with an iTunes as well. In this mode USB Mass Storage will not work on Windows with iTunes or Apple USB Drivers installed. And Drive only mode is provided to resolve compatibility issue with Windows and iTunes. In this mode USB Drive changes iPhone device USB product ID. This will prevent iTunes synchronization, but USB Mass Storage will work on Windows (and other operation systems of course). Switching to the Default or Drive + iTunesmodes restores iTunes sync.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Here are some steps following which you can use your iPod as an USB Flash Drive.
    1. Connect your computer.
    2. Go to The ipod Information section from an iTunes.
    3. Now you have to deselect an everything except Enable Disk use.
    4. If you want to force your iPod to use in to disk mode then follow these steps.
    5. Hold down the menu button and the center button for about 5 seconds. This reboots the iPod.
    6. Just after your iPod has rebooted, before the apple logo appears, hold down the center button and the play/pause button for about 2 seconds. Your ipod will boot with a white screen with a black tick in the middle, and a title bar at the top saying Disk Mode, with the battery.
    7. The iPod can then be connected to a computer with a data cable, and will appear as a removable disk.
    8. To take the iPod out of disk mode, reboot it again as in step 1. The data will still be kept on the iPod
    9. This should work with all iPods, hard disk or otherwise (though hard disk based ipods will still be slower).