Thread: Dell inspiron 1464 wireless problem

Dell inspiron 1464 wireless problem

I have a Dell inspiron 1464 laptop which is installed with Windows Xp operating system on it. The problem which I am facing is I am not able to connect the laptop to the wireless router. Whenever I connect the laptop to the router, it shows that the laptop is connected to the router but I cannot access the Internet. I am not a networking person and hence need your help in solving the issue. Therefore if anybody knows how to solve the Dell inspiron 1464 wireless problem then please share some information which might help me in solving the issue. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Dell inspiron 1464 wireless problem

First check if the router is configured properly or not. For using the internet wirelessly the router has to be configured properly. If the router is not configured properly then the devices will not be able to connect to the router and hence will not be able to access Internet on it. To check the configuration of the router, login to the router using the default IP of the router and then open the configuration page. Get all the settings which are required for the router from the ISP. Check if the router is configured properly. If there are any changes to be made, do it and then save the settings. Reboot the router and see if the laptop is able to connect to the router.

Check if the drivers for the network adapter are installed and working on the computer or not. All the devices which are connected to the computer, require a set of drivers to be installed on the computer. Drivers act as a mediator between the operating system and the device. If the drivers are not installed then the device will not work properly. To check if the drivers are installed and working properly, right click on my computer and then select device manager. Highlight the Network adapter and see if there are any caution signs. If there are any caution signs, then follow the troubleshooting procedure. If troubleshooting does not help, then update the drivers and see if it helps.

The DHCP running on the router is responsible for assigning IP address to all the computers which are connected to the router using Wireless connection. If the DHCP on the router is not running properly then the devices will not be able to access the router. You will have to restart the DHCP on the router to make it work properly. To restart the DHCP, login to the router and open the configuration page. Disable DHCP and restart the router. Login to the router and then enable the DHCP. Save the configuration file and reboot the router.

The network card which is installed on the computer is responsible for establishing and maintaining the connection to the router. If the NIC is not working properly then it wont be able to maintain the connection to the network. All the NIC's have a software interface programmed which can be used for testing purposes. To test the NIC of the computer, click on Start menu and select Run. Now type "ping 127.0.0.1" and hit enter. Check if there are any errors in the data sent and received. If there is any data sent and received, then replace the NIC as it is faulty.

If the network is secured with an encryption then the laptop will not be able to access all the network resources without entering the encryption key. Therefore first check if the network which you are trying to access is not encrypted. If the network is encrypted then check if the encryption key is entered properly. You can also remove the encryption of the network and then connect the laptop to the router.