Thread: Compaq Presario V5000 Won't turn on

Arrow Compaq Presario V5000 Won't turn on

I have an old Compaq Presario which is running Windows 7 atm, it has 3gb ram, 160 gb harddrive, Amd CPU and a Ati Radeon graphic card. I was playing a game when suddenly this laptop shut down itself. I thought it might be due to some power fluctuation but when I tried to press the power button to switch it on it does nothing. It will only blink 4 times and does nothing. The laptop is 2 years old and I dont think I can replace it. What can I do to turn it on, please help. Thanks
    "The answer is out there, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to."

Re: Compaq Presario V5000 Won't turn on

Have you tried checking out the battery of your Compaq Presario V5000 whether it is dead or still working, cause if thats the case then you might have to install a new one. Also if your compaq boots just for once then can you try to update its drivers, if you receive any error message then please also try to post here it so that we can diagnose some solutions for it.

If in case your laptop posts then try to power on self test and do the following - Immediately grab a antivirus disc and install it and checl for some viruses that might have corrupted your system. If thats not the case then try a recovery disc and try to repair your OS, if its repaired then its well and good but if it is not then we will have to check for some other solutions. Let us know your progress.

In case if you laptop doesnt boots or posts then try to take out the screw holding the cover plate where the ram is installed and remove the ram sticks. Then clean the its inner edges with a eraser both sides and re-insert them. Try to swap the sticks as well and incase if you dont have another stick then borrow the same MHZ ram from your friend and check whether your laptop boots or not. If everything fails then you might have to take it to your local pc shop for some reparing.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter

It might be a problem of different dimm slots in your laptop. You can find the same by swapping ram to different ram slots and checking it out whether is it the ram slot at fault or the ram. Once you discover the problem where it lies, replace either the ram which could be at fault or repair either the ram slot that might be faulty. Also in case if its a ram problem then purchase Ram sticks with similar MHZ limits, for example, if your ram was 333mhz then purchase similar mhz ram. Hope that helps.

It would be good if you can first if all tell us how many memory sticks you are using currently in your laptop? You can also run test on ram from site called Memtest86 on each of the ram module and run the test overnight cause it takes enourmous time to test ram. This way you can check it our whether its your ram fault or some other hardware fault. Adios
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

ThumbsUp Re: Compaq Presario V5000 Won't turn on

Same problem as above. Thanks to Techman. I removed the ram cleaned it with an erasure and the Compaq V5000 laptop now boots up and works. Thankyou x 5.