Thread: Slow performance in Macbook pro

Slow performance in Macbook pro

I have just switched to Mac systems and dont have much of an idea about it. Recently I purchased a Macbook Pro which is installed with Mac OS X Snow leopard. The Macbook pro is connected to the linksys wireless router through which Internet is accessed on the computer. The problem which I am facing is my Macbook takes lot of time to open certain application. Also while surfing Internet, the webpages take lot of time to open. As I am new to Mac systems, I cant figure out what is causing Slow performance in Macbook pro and hence need your help in solving the issue. Any help about the topic is highly appreciated.

Re: Slow performance in Macbook pro

Most of the problems which are faced by Mac systems are solved by doing a PRAM reset. Sometimes invalid entries get stored in the system memory of the computer. If the system memory of the computer is flooded with invalid entries then the system will not work properly. You will have to clear all the invalid entries from the system RAM of the computer. To clear the invalid entries, shut down the computer and disconnect it from the AC source. Locate the following keys on the keyboard (Apple, Option, R and P). Press and hold the following keys till 3 start up chimes are heard. As soon as the 3rd start up chime is heard, release the keys and let the system boot normally.

The operating system of the computer is responsible for controlling all the functions which are performed by the computer. There are lot of files which are associated to the operating system of the computer. If any of the files which is associated to the computer is corrupt or missing on the computer then the computer will not work properly. Insert the installation disk and boot the system from the disk. Install the operating system in install/archive mode which will enable you to use the applications which are installed on the previous operating system. After reinstalling the operating system, check if the problem persists or not.

Check the application which you are using to surf the internet. It is possible that the browser which you are using is corrupt due to which you are facing such problems while surfing Internet on the computer. There are many other browsers which are available online which can be used to surf internet. Download one of the browser which is available and install it on the computer. After installing the new installed browser, see if the webpages load slowly or not. If the new browser works properly, then remove the browser which you were using before.

I think there must be lot of processes running on the Macbook in background due to which the performance of the computer is hampered. Every application when executed on the computer, requires some memory and CPU to be allocated. If lot of processes are running together then lot of memory and CPU will be used and hence the processor will take lot of time in processing the applications which will hamper the performance. Open the Activity monitor and check all the processes which are running on the computer. Terminate all the unwanted processes and check the performance of the computer.

The New Macbooks which are powered by Intel processors face problem with the SMC. SMC is responsible for controlling all the underlying processes of the Macbook. Doing a SMC reset will solve the problem. To perform the SMC reset, follow the steps below :-
    • Shut down the Macbook and disconnect it from the AC adapter.
    • Remove the battery
    • Press and hold the power button for 45 seconds.
    • Replace the battery and see if the computer works properly.