Thread: numberpad on hp dv9000 Laptop

numberpad on hp dv9000 Laptop

hi........
    I have got a laptop ... a hp dv9000z. It is a 17 inch model with a numeric keypad on it. The problem is, when the numlock key is turned on the keyboard number pad get's enables. The strange thing about this is, this laptop isnt supposed to have a numeric keypad on the keyboard as it's got its own dedicated keys, same as a pc keyboard. I've completely reinstalled windows, and flashed the bios with the most recent file to no effect. I have got 3 similar laptops here also all dv9xxxx with the numeric keypad and i cant get the numeric keypad on the keyboard to work on.

Anyone have any idea what could cause this or how to fix it?

If you might have a suggestion, please post it to me....

Re: numberpad on hp dv9000 Laptop

hi there.....

I had the same problem with my dv9009cl.
    I tried press fn+NumLock in the same time.
    I guess that the fn key is functioning because fn+f6/f7 rise or low the screen brightness. Try this one as asolution or else

In mean times try to format the notebook's HD operating system drive and this may solve your problem.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

hello.........
    i guess i had the same problem and went to various places with this device but no solution accquired .......
    i also had a conversation with the HP executive and he said that if it's in warranty have a replaced one...........
    i will suggest you the same....

if you have your device under warranty period then go have an exchange............
    that's it you an option with you..........
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Try this one:

generally most of the branded laptop developers provide an option called numlock off. So I just wanted to ask whether you try it with the numlock off? On many laptops you have to press and hold the Fn button then tap the Numlock to turn it off.

i guess many tried it ......
    now it's your turn...........

My View:

I guess that your num lock is on and you have to disable it... What you can do is here is just enter into the BIOS settings page and then try to check if there is an option for you inorder to disable the num lock.. The quick relief is just below provided ..

Just search for the function key (Fn) and then what you have to do is that press the function key followed by the key on which the num lock is written.. check carefully. generally it is on the right hand side.. This is what should do .. Fn + Key with (num lock) .Check that the lights for the num lock off and on and you keep repeating the process......

Usually this happens if your laptop has been sent in for repair and they load the wrong keyboard profile.
    Quick fix is:
    make sure the numlock is off - press the numlock key above the no.7 so the light goes off and it says numlock off on the screen
    open the on screen keyboard by going to: start>programs>accessories>ease of access>on screen keyboard
    a keyboard layout will open on your screen
    hold the FN button down on your real keyboard and click the nlk button on the onscreen keyboard by using your mouse - DO NOT PRESS THE REAL NUMLOCK KEY!
    now try typing - the 1st time you type you will need to press the key twice in order for it to kick in but it should then work. Just dont press the real numlock key again and this will work even after you've rebooted. If you do happen to press the real numlock key just do this process again

This usually happens when the motherboard is replaced, due to perhaps a failing video card chip. Other symptoms may include:

-Missing Notebook Model in the bios
    -Missing Serial number in the bios
    -Missing UUID
    -Missing MAC address
    -Incorrect factory installed os displayed
    -Print screen keys not working
    -After recovering vista (Recovery partition F11), you may have to activate windows over the phone or internet.
    -Unable to update bios - "This bios is not for your notebook pc"

an HP utility called HPBQ189.exe can be used to restore the proper information into the bios after the motherboard is replaced. An authorized service center can do this for you

for a DV9335nr, the following information can be entered

-System name/Model Number: Pavilion 9335nr (RV116UA#ABA) - This will allow you to flash the system with the latest bios
    -Serial Number and MAC address - Generates a new UUID for you
    -OS Type: Vista - Changes the bios so that windows does not loose its activation once it is recovered
    -Regional Settings 17inch US, bigger screen, bigger keyboard - fixes numlock/print screen issue
    -System SKU RV116UA#ABA - May be needed for recovey CD purposes

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by rob4crow; 24-03-2010 at 11:27 AM.