Thread: Acer Aspire 4720Z wifi issue

Acer Aspire 4720Z wifi issue

Hello there, I have a small home network configured which consist of a Wireless router, a desktop computer and a Laptop. The operating system on the desktop computer is Windows Xp while the operating system on the laptop is Windows 7. The problem is I am not able to connect the laptop to the Linksys wireless router. Whenever I try to connect the laptop to the router, it shows that connection is established but I cannot access internet on the laptop. So if anybody else is facing Acer Aspire 4720Z wifi issue then please help me solve the problem.

Re: Acer Aspire 4720Z wifi issue

The configuration of the router sometime changes when any new device is added or removed from the network. Therefore check the configuration of the router because if the router is not configured properly then the device will not be able to access the router. To check the configuration of the router, login to the router using the default IP address of the router. Go to the configuration page of the router and then contact the ISP to get the proper settings which are required. Check if the router is configured as per the settings provided by the ISP. If there are any changes to be made, make the changes and then save the settings. Reboot the router and see if the laptop is able to connect to the router.

Check if the drivers for the network adapter are installed and working properly. Every device which is connected to the computer, requires a set of drivers to be installed on the computer. Drivers act as the mediator between the operating system and the device. If the appropriate drivers are not installed on the computer, the device will not work properly. To check if the appropriate drivers are installed on the computer or not, right click on my computer and open device manager. Highlight the network adapter and check if there are any caution signs. Follow the troubleshooting procedure if there are any caution signs. Update the drivers if troubleshooting does not help.

The DHCP running on the router is responsible for assigning IP addresses to all the devices which are connected to the router using Wireless connection. DHCP assigns the IP address to all the devices from the pool of IP address available. If DHCP on the router is not working properly then the device which is connected to the router will not be able to access all the network resources. You will have to disable the DHCP and then enable it to bring it back to normal state. Login to the router and open the configuration page, disable the DHCP and then enable it again. After re-enabling the DHCP, save the configuration and see if you are able to access Internet on the laptop.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Network card of the laptop is responsible for establishing and maintaining the network connection. If the network interface card is not working properly then the laptop will not be able to connect to the router. All the network interface cards have a built-in software interface which can be used to test the network card. To test the network card, click on start menu and select run. Now type "ping 127.0.0.1" and hit enter. Now check the errors in the data packet sent and received. Ideally there should be no error in data sent and received. If there is any error then the network card is faulty and hence needs to be replaced.

The default IP version of Windows 7 is IPv6 while the default IP version of Windows XP is IPv4. Therefore when the computers working on both the operating systems are connected on the same network, there would be a protocol mismatch due to which all the devices will not be connected on the network. You will have to disable the IPv6 support of Windows 7 inorder to make the network work. Go to network connections and select Lan Properties. Go to TCP/IP utilities and click on Properties. Remove the checkmark from the option which says "Enable IPv6 support" and apply the settings. Now see if the laptop can connect to the router.