Thread: Need a Good Dictionary for Kindle

Need a Good Dictionary for Kindle

Hi,
    I want to know weather it is possible to add a different dictionary to Kindle. If yes then how to do that. I had just purchased a kindle. I had added some mobi and drm files. Those works fine here. But in some case there some words where a proper meaning is needed. I had found some translation dictionary on mobileread but that is not enough for my work.

Re: Need a Good Dictionery for Kindle

It is possible to set any dictionary in Kindle. You can use that as default. First do this. Look for the proper dictionary you want. If it is free then it will be termed as non drm dictionary. You can set that as default too. Kindle supports this features. You have to add this in the chamber dictionary and then you can use the same as the default word finder for you.

That is right. Kindle support non drm files. I had just added a German to English dictionary in my kindle dictionary folder. Here once you add that in the mobi format then kindle use the same as the default one in the place of American dictionary. It will work on quick lookup which came at the bottom of the page. Here you can also choose the full dictionary page view.

Here is a full list of settings that will help you to add dictionary to your kindle. It works for both DRM and Non-DRM files. For this go to Kindle Stores. Then go on Kindle books and press on Reference. Now see for Dictionaries & Thesauruses. Here you will get the section of Kindle Default dictionaries. You can choose form here the default dictionary for your Kindle.

I am using right now an English-English Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictonary. I had got this on mobileread. I am not sure about the multilingual dictionaries. But there are some sources where you can get them. You have to do a bit research on the same. You can try Amazon for those sections. But on Mobileread there some dictionaries like Spanish and German translation.

You can buy Easton's Bible Dictionary for kindle from Amazon. This the olny one source I had found on Amazon for Kindle. Here in kindle the New Oxford American Dictionary is default one. You can change those settings and use your dictionary book for that. If want a English dictionary then this can be the right one for you. Check out on Amazon.