Thread: How to reset Kindle 2

How to reset Kindle 2

Hello there, I am in real fix and need your help. I bought a Kindle 2 about 2 months back and I was working fine but today the Kindle 2 refused to start. When the slider switch is moved to turn the Kindle on, nothing happens. The Screensaver stays on the screen and is partially visible. I had recently installed the Screen saver hack on it. Can this problem be due to the hack installed? Also I want to know How to reset Kindle 2 to its factory settings as it might help me in solving the issue. Please help.

Re: How to reset Kindle 2

Yes the problem which you are facing may be due to the screen saver hack installed on the Kindle. The screen saver in Kindle is not meant to be disabled. It is a visual display of Kindle going to sleep. As you had installed the Hack on the kindle, it must have altered some of the files of the firmware of the Kindle due to which the kindle is not starting now. Try uninstalling the disable screen saver hack from the Kindle and then see if the Kindle is starting or not.

Try connecting the Kindle to the computer and see if it gets detected. If the issue with your kindle is software related, it will get detected on the computer when connected. First check if the USB cord which is used to connect the Kindle to the computer is proper. If the connecting cord is faulty then the Kindle will not get detected. On connecting the Kindle to the computer, if it does not get detected then there is some problem with the hardware of the Kindle which needs to be replaced.

Have you tried restoring the Kindle to factory settings? Restoring the Kindle to factory settings will disable all the hacks and modifications that were installed on the Kindle. After restoring the Kindle to factory settings, see if it works normally. To restore the Kindle 2 to factory settings, move the slider switch to right side and keep it holding there for about 20 seconds. See if the kindle displays something on the screen. When the screen blinks and starts displaying then release the button and let the Kindle restarts. After restarting, check if the device is working properly.

I suspect that the battery of your Kindle has drained of the charge due to which it is not starting. Sometimes the battery does not get charged even when the device is connected to the AC source. Therefore if the battery does not have enough charge, then it will not be able to provide power to the device to boot. Therefore I would suggest you to take out the battery of the Kindle and check the voltage across the battery using a Digital multimeter. If the battery is low on voltage then let it charge for few hours and then see if the Kindle is able to start or not.

I was also facing the same problem with my Kindle 2 which I had bought about 3 months back. It had all the Hacks installed on it and suddenly the Kindle 2 was not starting at all. I tried to avoid calling the Amazon Customer support as the Kindle had lot of hacks installed on it. But finally I called them and described the problem to them. After following all the troubleshooting procedure, the conclusion was that the Screen was faulty and I got the Whole kindle replaced. Therefore I would suggest you to call up the Amazon support and get the Kindle replaced.