Thread: Does Kindle DX read .doc files?

Does Kindle DX read .doc files?

Hello there, I want to buy a portable Ebook reader and I was thinking of buying a Kindle DX global. I have some doubts about the device and hence I need your advice on it. I want to know How do i get my files from computer on to Kindle DX? Does Kindle DX read .doc files? and Does Kindle DX convert all the files into its own format? Any suggestions about the topic are welcome

Re: Does Kindle DX read .doc files?

Kindle is portable ebook reader which is developed by Amazon. The latest version of Kindle is Kindle DX. To transfer the files from the computer to the device you will have to connect the Kindle to your computer. The computer will detect and install the required drivers for the device. Once all the required drivers are installed, you can directly transfer files from the computer to the device.

Unfortunately Kindle does not support Word files or .Doc files. To read a word files the device requires special decoders which are not available on Kindle. To be able to read a Word file or a .RTF file you will have to convert the file format to the format which is supported by the device. Kindle supports two formats which are .PDF and Mobi/Prc. Use a converter software and convert the .doc files into the format supported by the Kindle and then transfer it on the device.

All the variants of Kindle portable Ebook reader only supports mobi/prc or a pdf file. If any of the document file other than these formats are added to the device then Kindle will not convert the files which are added to it. Instead it will display all the files whose format is known. You will not be able to read the files if the format is not Mobi/Prc or PDF but the files will be visible in the device if the format is known.

Thank you all for replying to post. The information which you have shared is really beneficial and helpful about the device. It is clear that Kindle only supporst two formats for ebooks which is .pdf or .mobi/prc file and does not support .doc files. I have heard that Kindle has a dictionary option which gives the meaning of the word when the cursor goes on the word, is it true? How to activate this feature on Kindle DX.

Yes the new version of Kindle has an Inbuilt dictionary feature which is very helpful while reading ebooks. Earlier versions of the Kindle also had dictionary functions but it had some issues with it. If you wanted to see the meaning of the word, you had to open a separate page for it. On the other hand new Kindle DX has an in-line function which shows the meaning of the word at the bottom of the page when the cursor is moved on the word which makes it easier to use. This feature is activated by default.

Foreign format documents are not as much of a problem as you might have been led to believe. First, Word 2007 and 2010 can produce pdf documents directly. (2007 requires a free plug-in from Microsoft). So in effect the Kindle can accept docs from Word. For other formats there is a free third party program Calibre, which will convert many alternate formats into a Kindle friendly format. (calibre-ebook.com). The real restriction is ebooks in foreign formats that have digital rights management enabled. (Ex. Barnes & Nobel Nook format) They cannot be read on a Kindle.