Thread: Acer extensa 5220 does not boot

Acer extensa 5220 does not boot

I am really freaked out and need help. I have an Acer extensa 5220 laptop which is installed with Windows XP operating system. The laptop was working fine till last night, when it shut itself down while I was surfing on the Internet and now my Acer extensa 5220 laptop does not boot when the power button is pressed. Whenever the power button is pressed, all the LED's of the Laptop glow and then nothing else happens. So any suggestions about the issue are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Acer extensa 5220 does not boot

Mostly all the laptops face the problem with the residual charge. Residual charge gets stored near the RAM chips. If the voltage of the residual charge crosses the threshold voltage then the system will not be able to access the RAM and hence the system will not boot. To clear the residual charge of the laptop. Shut down the laptop and disconnect from the AC source. Remove the battery of the laptop and press the power button of the laptop. Keep the button pressed for about 30 seconds and then release the button. After a minute, replace the battery and then start the laptop.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

There is a battery on the motherboard of the laptop which is responsible for saving the BIOS settings which are required for booting. If the voltage of the battery falls below the threshold then the laptop will not boot. Open the laptop and locate the battery on the motherboard of the laptop. Remove the battery and then check the voltage of the battery using DMM. The voltage should be between 2.5 volts to 3 volts. If the voltage of the battery is less than 2.5 volts then you will have to replace the battery. Once the battery is replaced, the laptop will boot without any problems.

Remove the hard drive of the laptop as I suspect that the hard drive of the laptop has got corrupt. Open the laptop and remove the hard drive of the laptop. Connect the hard drive of the laptop to some other computer in slave mode. See if the hard drive gets detected. If the hard drive does not get detected, then the hard drive is faulty and needs to be replaced. If the hard drive gets detected, then download any hard drive diagnostic tool and run it on the hard drive. After running the diagnostic tool on the hard drive see the errors which are encountered and fix them. Hopefully fixing of the errors will help in booting the laptop.

All the functions which are performed by the computer are controlled by the motherboard. Motherboard is responsible for providing correct voltage levels to all the peripherals which are connected to the laptop. If the motherboard of the laptop is faulty then it is bound to create such problems. Get the motherboard checked by some technician and if there are any problems, get it replaced. Replacing the motherboard of the laptop will solve the problem.

Check if the RAM is properly seated in its respective slots. If the RAM is not seated in its slots then it will not get detected by the system. Open the laptop and remove the RAM from its slots. Clean the connecting terminals of the RAM and then replace back in its slot. If there are multiple RAM chips available, then try booting the system using single RAM chip. If for any RAM chip, the system does not boot then discard the RAM chip as it may be faulty.