Thread: Windows XP not detecting integrated Realtek sound card in HP Laptop

Windows XP not detecting integrated Realtek sound card in HP Laptop

I am having the HP laptop which had the Windows XP operating system. This HP laptop has the integrated Realtek sound card. Recently the laptop HDD crashed , so i formatted it and reinstalled the Windows XP operating system in the laptop. Reinstalled the Driver software. But the issue is the Windows XP is not detecting the integrated Realtek sound card. I am getting the error message showing 'sound control cannot be used'. Help me out in resolving this issue.
    Last edited by Gavin.B; 26-02-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Re: Windows XP not detecting integrated Realtek sound card in HP Laptop

You are having the HP laptop which has the Windows XP operating system installed and the problem is that the Windows XP operating system is not detecting the Integrated Realtek sound card of the laptop. This issue started after you reinstalled the Windows XP in the laptop due to crash. I think the reason for this problem is , you have not installed the proper driver software for this sound card in the laptop. So install the latest driver software.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

However you have not mentioned the model number of the HP laptop that you are using. If you would have mentioned that then it is easier to solve the problem for us. You are getting the error showing 'sound control cannot be used'. To solve this problem i will recommend you to first remove the driver software which you have installed and disable this sound card from the device manager of the system. After that reboot the laptop. Enable the sound card again and install the driver software again in the Windows XP operating system.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

You have mentioned that you have installed the Windows XP operating system again in the HP laptop that you are having because it was crashed before. I want to ask you that did you formatted the hard drive before installing the the fresh copy of the Windows XP operating system. If you have not formatted the HDD then this issue can occur.

As you are asking that, i had formatted the HDD before installing the fresh copy of the Windows XP operating system in the laptop or not. I had not formatted the hard drive before reinstalling the Windows XP operating system on the hard drive. So, you want to tell me that, i have to install again the Windows XP by first formatting the old version of XP OS on the HDD? Is there any alternate solution available for this issue?

Yes you will have to install the Windows XP operating system again on the Hard drive of the laptop by formatting it properly. This will remove the previous version of the Windows XP OS and all the software and the drivers of the hardware which can cause the problem in the new Windows XP installation. However you can try to download the driver for the sound card from the HP website according to the laptop which you are having. May be this can solve the problem. If not you will have to install the Windows XP again by formatting the HDD.